Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Midland-MicroMobile-MXT400-GMRS.png

We recently installed the Midland USA MicroMobile MXT400 GMRS radio in our rig. Full transparency we are gear sponsored by Midland now though we'd been using their radios for years before they knew we existed.

MicroMobile MXT400 Install Article

This install guide should help anyone trying to install this radio, but it is Jeep specific. If anyone on another platform has questions, I'm happy to answer them as best I can.

Eric aka Jeepsies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Thanks Rolando. It's been good so far regarding location.

Apparently Midland just came out with some even better antennas and they are sending me a couple to try them out. I'll post once I have them installed my thoughts on them in case anyone is interested.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks Rolando. It's been good so far regarding location.

Apparently Midland just came out with some even better antennas and they are sending me a couple to try them out. I'll post once I have them installed my thoughts on them in case anyone is interested.
I still have the stock antenna that came with the kit. Haven't had a chance to use the unit much to tell whether or not it needs to be upgraded. Last / first time I used it on the trail it was perfectly fine.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I still have the stock antenna that came with the kit. Haven't had a chance to use the unit much to tell whether or not it needs to be upgraded. Last / first time I used it on the trail it was perfectly fine.
To be honest we haven't had any issues with the stock antenna either. I think Midland just wants to send us their new one because nobody has them yet and they want the word out about them. So we'll see how the new ones do by comparison and report back.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
To be honest we haven't had any issues with the stock antenna either. I think Midland just wants to send us their new one because nobody has them yet and they want the word out about them. So we'll see how the new ones do by comparison and report back.
That would be cool, thanks!

Reactions: Hourless Life

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I currently have CB hard wired and hand Ham's in the rig for when were on foot, How do you like the GMRS? I have been debating for some time on either eliminating them and sticking to one system like a GMRS or possibly eliminating the CB and doing HAM & GMRS. I'm not sure if it would even be worth having HAM & GMRS since there are handheld GMRS's that can work with the frequencies. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I currently have CB hard wired and hand Ham's in the rig for when were on foot, Hose do you like the GMRS? I have been debating for some time on either eliminating them and sticking to one system like a GMRS or possibly eliminating the CB and doing HAM & GMRS. I'm not sure if it would even be worth having HAM & GMRS since there are handheld GMRS's that can work with the frequencies. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts, is this... 4wd clubs, Loggers, and most OTR truckers run CB so CB is a viable option still. GRMS is gaining traction, and soon the OTR truckers are going to make the switch, and when they do the loggers and local boys will as well. And Ham is long range coms. I currently only have CB, but I will be getting my ham license next week. After I get my Ham I’m going to get my GRMS, because that’s what the majority of people here use. Once I get my GRMS rig, I’ll probably ditch my old Cobra 25 and go to a all in one unit for those times I actually need the Civillian Band

Reactions: SinisterJK