Input on Silverado vs Tundra purchase decision?

• HTML tutorial

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
No $20,000 markup for a silly giant sticker. And you get a better engine and transmission.

If you want to play the ''strikes'' game:
-Has Dodge fixed the cam and roller issues with their engines yet? Strike 1.
-Diesel engine option? Strike 2.
- 4.10 gears and 33" tires? PW's used to have acceptable 4.56 gears. Strike 3.
-Locker and swaybar disco failures, flashing locker button?
-Winch, but no winch bumper?

You can build a darn nice truck for well below the Powerwagons absurd pricing. And have far better components to show for it. Many SD owners prefer a Trutrac front diff. I'm installing a Yukon Grizz.

The front swaybar is a non issue. I can disco my sway bar in a couple minutes. Carli is coming out with a nicer sway bar.

I can build a CCSB Ford with a Grizz front locker and 4.88 gears, BDS 4" 4 link, Fox 2.5 Dsc shocks, and 37" Cooper STT's on Method wheels, for far less than the cost of the PW. And still have a GVWR capable of hauling a slide in camper. So that's the route I went.

The Tremor package can be applied to the base xl, xlt, and stx models. Making it's pricepoint far below the PW pricing. You have plenty of room to spend on ARB lockers, winch, or whatever. Often, I'll recommend a base Dodge over the PW as well.

Fiat is making a huge mistake by not allowing a reasonably priced locker F/R option available for all models of Ram and Wrangler.

My rear elocker was only a $500ish option. (Fx4) $456 IIRC.
YES! Thank you!

And, you summed it up much better than I would have been able to.

Joking aside, I'm planning the Tremor as my next truck.

Last edited:

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Personally I'd delete the stickers. Also, it's not a $20k markup for the PW, it's $8. That said, yes $8k for lockers, an e-disconnect and a winch is kind of crazy.

View attachment 132323
(that price is w/o the PW package, that's just where a Tradesman starts)

View attachment 132322
And here's what the Power Wagon package costs to add to Tradesman, bringing the total to:

View attachment 132324

So yes, you can get the Powerwagon on even the Tradesman trim, so yes they're making hte F/R locker option available on all trims of RAM. Obviously they haven't done that with Wrangler, and you're "forced" into a few more of the options with a Rubicon than a base-base Sport. Still, a Rubicon with no additional options isn't outfitted all that differently than a Sport S. Then you can up-fit it with basically all the options to make it equivalent to a Sahara Altitude or whatnot. So yes, you basically can have a Rubicon at almost any given trim level. BTW, I see what you did there calling it Fiat not FCA. ;)

The cam and roller issue seems to be a thing of the past, but I guess we'll see. I do agree it sucks they don't offer the diesel. If I was actually buying a brand new full-size rig to build into an Overlander I'd basically do what you're talking about doing, but start with a diesel Tradesman and then do the stuff myself (probably using AEV's suspension and fenders so I can run 40"s... because every Ovlerlander needs 40"s ;) ). The reality is, some people just don't want to have to "build" a rig, or have the knowledge to do it. If they want to just go sign on the dotted-line then a Power Wagon is still the most capable stock full-size out there, bottom line.

-TJ
Not having knowledge of how to build an overlander... That me right here. But, that's why I joined this site! I will need your help, lol.

On a serious note: Most of us have loyalty to one of the brands. They all have their pros and cons. The reason I ended up with a Ford honestly, was the value. I initially started looking at the Dodge line. But, at the time with incentives, I couldn't pass up the Ford. And their reliability didn't hurt the decision either.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Salty about Fords, much? :laughing:
Not really, I just like the poke a little fun. I actually was pretty close to buying a Ford truck when we sold our big diesel pusher motorhome. At the time I was considering a Yuge 5th wheel trailer so I was looking into a F450 to replace my Silverado 2500. We didn't go that route, but not because it would have meant buying a Ford.

-TJ