Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Hello Inland Empire Overland Bound....just a heads up!
A note from Kent Director, Executive Director
Overland Bound

I wanted to give you guys some advanced info on the West Regional meet-up/trail guardian event coming up. I am planning a large trip to the Mojave Road March 13-15 traveling on 12&16. This will be a West Region meet-up along with a trail guardian event to clean the trail. (more to come on the cleanup aspect)

I am not going to advertise this until next week and everyone will have the same opportunity to go. My plan is to have about 40-50 rigs and get a good cross section of the Overland Bound West in attendance. Hopefully you will know a new to overlanding member in your groups that would really benefit from this, if so you might want to give them a heads up that the RP will go out around the middle of next week.

I am having all the regions in our community plan regional meet-ups each year, so far the Midwest and Northwest are in the planning stages and the Southeast is talking about a date. These events won't take the place of the official Overland Bound Rallies that are produced by HQ but will fill the gap to get more members involved.

Any questions just email,

Thanks,

Kent Reynolds

For those you want to go please let me know so I can supply our group list.

Dominic

Coachella Valley Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Mammoth Lakes, CA, USA
Member #

Hello Inland Empire Overland Bound....just a heads up!
A note from Kent Director, Executive Director
Overland Bound

I wanted to give you guys some advanced info on the West Regional meet-up/trail guardian event coming up. I am planning a large trip to the Mojave Road March 13-15 traveling on 12&16. This will be a West Region meet-up along with a trail guardian event to clean the trail. (more to come on the cleanup aspect)

I am not going to advertise this until next week and everyone will have the same opportunity to go. My plan is to have about 40-50 rigs and get a good cross section of the Overland Bound West in attendance. Hopefully you will know a new to overlanding member in your groups that would really benefit from this, if so you might want to give them a heads up that the RP will go out around the middle of next week.

I am having all the regions in our community plan regional meet-ups each year, so far the Midwest and Northwest are in the planning stages and the Southeast is talking about a date. These events won't take the place of the official Overland Bound Rallies that are produced by HQ but will fill the gap to get more members involved.

Any questions just email,

Thanks,

Kent Reynolds

For those you want to go please let me know so I can supply our group list.

Dominic
Let me know if Trona is still planned for March? On my scouting trip found great places to camp and there are off-roading trails not far from the campsite! I wish I had more time to explore on my last trip but the film crew chasing me out of the area kinda Ruined that!

Reactions: Miller8152 and T-88

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In case anyone is interested, I started my first ever build thread on my trailer project over in the overland trailer section. I don't normally do build threads because I forget to take pictures of stuff. Hopefully this will be different. The first two pictures are up and I have a few more to add in this weekend.

Reactions: T-88

2BigTaco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Diamond Bar, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Tubig
Member #

Hey everyone. I’m sorry these took so long. Work has been pretty hectic. Anyway here are some shots from the Cleghorn trail run. I’m sorry I didn’t get everyone. I always get focused on the trail and forget to take out my camera lol. I’ll be sure to shoot more on the next trip. Cheers!
E150A154-9BED-46CC-927E-DE7789D1F215.jpeg65AD1074-FC02-4899-B258-9A5F25B9DF56.jpeg98C5F8CF-2EA2-4C19-9B60-6CD6936BD390.jpegC404E461-FB7D-4830-9B37-BC6BAC53E1D5.jpeg25E88711-3BD5-4648-B4FA-02AD056B9D1A.jpeg7A641DC7-6609-43D1-81C2-BCE46A183A53.jpegD7FC8077-611D-4CE0-B3B7-A912D89AD625.jpeg2D8A60D2-A560-4C7A-9B69-BECCCEA9DB14.jpegD7C630CE-047F-407F-8143-623BDAB7AF3F.jpegD72A68E0-F2E2-4A8A-BBB8-2255114440D9.jpeg70CB8BDA-52C2-402A-99A6-ACFC6996ED75.jpegBCC0E05D-1981-45AF-AE83-3186B773D914.jpeg8F0A0DD9-C706-41DA-9926-C3B3A0CAB40D.jpegD5C46093-B441-43DB-9556-9872F0E3956B.jpeg

Last edited:

DesertTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

Is the Trona Pinacles trip still a thing? Wondering if it got cancelled or not, cause I was planning on going to it. Can’t make it to the Mojave trip unfortunately.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As far as I know, its still on. I forgot what we were doing this month.
Pinnacles will be march. Unfortunately I wont be able to go to that one.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I’m up for both the Mojave Road, and the Pinnacles.
Well, it looks like the Lord wasn’t willing, and the creek rose. My driveshaft broke this weekend, and took the rear differential with it. And since Toyota put in an oddball 4.37-1 gear ratio it their trucks in 1980 only, I’m going to have to replace both differentials. So my rig is out of commission for a while. F6FDF147-097C-465B-AFA8-B1B2FE306E9F.jpeg93416461-356B-48F7-B1CC-505AE87F0A14.jpegSnapped drive shaft!49112567-07B4-465D-B169-1A2877F278DE.jpegand here’s the end of the pinion gear snapped off in the drive shaft.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've trail fixed a few of those over the years. The driveshaft end of the pinion is a weak point. They normally break from fatigue due to age. the pinion shears and drop into the carrier. Pull the carrier, remove the broken pieces and drive out on the front end. as long as the carrier is good, replace the R&P.
Heres some R&P choices

I use these guys for my driveshafts Aluminum Driveshafts, Yoke, Universal Joint, Composite Driveshaft, Center Support Bearings - Inland Empire Driveline Service

Reactions: chrispartida

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’ve got the truck temporarily fixed. The differential and drive shaft from a 1991 Toyota 4Runner manual 4x4 fit perfectly. However this makes it only a 2 whee drive, since the gear ratio is 411 instead of the stock 437. So now I’m looking at gears and lockers! I’ll be going to TDS, to camp, but won’t be able to do too much on the trails.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
This will be my first time at TDS & I have a couple of questions for those who have been before:

Are campfires allowed? I can bring some wood, but don't want to haul it if I can't use it.

I usually bring my MTN bike where ever I go. Even if I don't go out for a ride, I've used it for getting around events like Overland Expo West & it worked great!!! That being said, I didn't bring it to King of the Hammers because I was told it was so crazy I'd probably get hit. After going, I wish I would have brought it as there was quite a bit of walking involved to get to everything. I've heard TDS is/can be the same kind of crazy. So, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should bring it. Is TDS as big & spread out as KOH? Do you guys typically camp far away from the vendor area?

And lastly, although not a TDS question, is anyone going this year that is knowledgeable with GAIA & willing to share some of that knowledge? I'd love for someone to run me through the basics if they had the time/patients. I've tried reading the manuals & watching the videos, but I learn so much easier from hands-on/real-time lessons.

Looking forward to getting out there with the group again...

Zaya2312

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Isaiah
Last Name
Herrera
Member #

Hey everyone, newer OB member here, i was recommended to check out the thread from the OB west facebook page. Dont wanna impose but heard a Bunch of yall were heading out to TDS this coming up weekend was curious if you guys/gals were doing any runs/camps out there? New to SoCal me and my wife are trying to meet up with folks who know the area and go to spots thanks!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Welcome Issiah,

Dominic from the IE group is heading this one up & should be posting some info. any day now. I haven't been yet, but I know Dominic & some of the others have been to TDS in past years. If I remember correctly, the group will be doing a run or two at the event.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How has everyone been! Miss the trials with y’all. I might be a little set back. Snapped an axle on the Jeep.
Axle upgrade time.

I’ve got the truck temporarily fixed. The differential and drive shaft from a 1991 Toyota 4Runner manual 4x4 fit perfectly. However this makes it only a 2 whee drive, since the gear ratio is 411 instead of the stock 437.
let me know if you need a hand with that.

Are campfires allowed? I can bring some wood, but don't want to haul it if I can't use it.
Bring wood. If someone posts some info I may be able to come out for an overnight.

Hey everyone, newer OB member here, i was recommended to check out the thread from the OB west facebook page. Dont wanna impose but heard a Bunch of yall were heading out to TDS this coming up weekend was curious if you guys/gals were doing any runs/camps out there? New to SoCal me and my wife are trying to meet up with folks who know the area and go to spots thanks!
Welcome.
Not sure what the agenda is or where their camping but, someone will put some info up. I know a few are going out Wednesday/Thursday. They will most likely post the camp spot.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
This will be my first time at TDS & I have a couple of questions for those who have been before:

I usually bring my MTN bike where ever I go. Even if I don't go out for a ride, I've used it for getting around events like Overland Expo West & it worked great!!! That being said, I didn't bring it to King of the Hammers because I was told it was so crazy I'd probably get hit. After going, I wish I would have brought it as there was quite a bit of walking involved to get to everything. I've heard TDS is/can be the same kind of crazy. So, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should bring it. Is TDS as big & spread out as KOH? Do you guys typically camp far away from the vendor area?

And lastly, although not a TDS question, is anyone going this year that is knowledgeable with GAIA & willing to share some of that knowledge? I'd love for someone to run me through the basics if they had the time/patients. I've tried reading the manuals & watching the videos, but I learn so much easier from hands-on/real-time lessons.

Looking forward to getting out there with the group again...
Glenn, yes, bring the bike, you will use it.
Also, I can help you with Gaia.
Dom, Monty, and I will arrive Wednesday. Dom might arrive Tuesday. Dom will post coordinates of the camp spot he picks out for us all to stay.
See you there.
Cliff