Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have the Friday off so ill be good to go that morning. Looks like mid 90's next weekend in Hemet. Nice weekend.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Hey everyone, Lake Hemet is booked for the next month, so we’ll be camping at some yellow post sites on the Thomas Mountain Loop instead. I’ll head up Thursday night and save a couple of spots, and post which ones here. Depending on when everyone is planning on coming up, we can arrange a meet up, and convoy in, or you can meet us at the campsite. Please post when you are planning on going up, and we can figure if we need a meeting place.

There are a few complications with getting to Thomas Mountain on Friday. Highway 243 from Banning is closed, and highway 74
from Hemet is being repaired. There is a pilot car guiding traffic up the mountain from 4:00 to 8:00 am and from 6:00 pm until midnight. The highway is closed from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. The pilot car runs all day Saturday and Sunday. From the Temecula area, take highway 79 to highway 371, and then to highway 74. From the Hemet area, head south on State Street, which becomes Sage Road, and follow that to Wilson Valley Road and turn left. Turn left again onto highway 371, and follow that to highway 74. Or take I10 to Monterey Ave in Palm Desert and follow that as it turns into highway 74 and head up the mountain.

We can do a short or long night run Friday, and a longer day run Saturday, it’s going to be fun!

Camping is off the grid, bring everything you will need. There is a small convienience store at Lake Hemet, about 10 miles from Thomas Mountain.

If you have any questions, please ask!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Looking at the map, it looks like I would have preferred to come in from Temecula anyway. Do you have any preferred yellow post sites your thinking of?

Would I turn onto Thomas Mountain Road at 6S13 near Hemet Lake or further south at Pyramid Peak Road? Is Thomas Mountain road improved dirt?

I'll be heading up on Friday. I'm working nights so I'll get out as soon as I can tear myself out of bed in the morning. I'm going to assume no cell service, Ill be monitoring the Ham and CB.

Edit:
Plugged in the Yellow posts 1-8 (never found #3) , upper and lower turn offs into my GPS.

Last edited:

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Looking at the map, it looks like I would have preferred to come in from Temecula anyway. Do you have any preferred yellow post sites your thinking of?

Would I turn onto Thomas Mountain Road at 6S13 near Hemet Lake or further south at Pyramid Peak Road? Is Thomas Mountain road improved dirt?

I'll be heading up on Friday. I'm working nights so I'll get out as soon as I can tear myself out of bed in the morning. I'm going to assume no cell service, Ill be monitoring the Ham and CB.

Edit:
Plugged in the Yellow posts 1-8 (never found #3) , upper and lower turn offs into my GPS.
Hey Scott, glad you are going to make it this month.
I will be going up the route further south, it is a little easier and wider that way. Yes, it is a dirt/gravel road.
I recommend we camp at Tool Box Springs campground; this is a nice campsite (Yellow Post) with a vault toilet and plenty of room for all.
I, like Brent, may go up Thursday evening also. See you there.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ok thats nice. I bringing out my trailer. I havent had it out for over a year and need to do a shakedown run with it.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Toolbox spring campground it is. There is plenty of room, and it is a nice area. I get off work at around 5:00 pm and will head up around 6:00 Thursday.

Dean & Damion

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hesperia
Member #

Wow the picture are so beautiful will have to hit in the future, I'll be down for awhile having Laminectomy surgery on my L5, but please post picture of the trips take care.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I'd love to attend. This is extremely close to home...unfortunately im not off work until 3pm saturday... any others meeting later in the day and heading up? Id like to get into a group and and meet some fellow members! :D

Reactions: DannyR53

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
I'd love to attend. This is extremely close to home...unfortunately im not off work until 3pm saturday... any others meeting later in the day and heading up? Id like to get into a group and and meet some fellow members! :D
Come on up on Saturday. Were happy to meet you, and there will be plenty of room.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Hey everyone, Lake Hemet is booked for the next month, so we’ll be camping at some yellow post sites on the Thomas Mountain Loop instead. I’ll head up Thursday night and save a couple of spots, and post which ones here. Depending on when everyone is planning on coming up, we can arrange a meet up, and convoy in, or you can meet us at the campsite. Please post when you are planning on going up, and we can figure if we need a meeting place.

There are a few complications with getting to Thomas Mountain on Friday. Highway 243 from Banning is closed, and highway 74
from Hemet is being repaired. There is a pilot car guiding traffic up the mountain from 4:00 to 8:00 am and from 6:00 pm until midnight. The highway is closed from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. The pilot car runs all day Saturday and Sunday. From the Temecula area, take highway 79 to highway 371, and then to highway 74. From the Hemet area, head south on State Street, which becomes Sage Road, and follow that to Wilson Valley Road and turn left. Turn left again onto highway 371, and follow that to highway 74. Or take I10 to Monterey Ave in Palm Desert and follow that as it turns into highway 74 and head up the mountain.

We can do a short or long night run Friday, and a longer day run Saturday, it’s going to be fun!

Camping is off the grid, bring everything you will need. There is a small convienience store at Lake Hemet, about 10 miles from Thomas Mountain.

If you have any questions, please ask!
Rouse trail is open. Last time we went up we just waited for the pilot car and peeled off from the crowd. Passed a few rangers who waved us through and hung out on thomas mountain until about 9pm that evening. This was 2 weekends ago now, so im sure its still open to drive on! Unless folks want to have majority highway miles up the mountain :D

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Hello Everyone Dom here....

It's been kinda of crazy with work and getting ready for my Colorado/Ohio trip. However, I will heading up Friday as well...yet I will be staying at the Hemet Lake Campground. Mizeal is back from his Kuwait and he was able to get a camping spot.
I will meet up for the trail runs on Saturday.

Dominic