Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
So I wanted some additional lighting mounted on my truck for camping, but I didn't want to hardwire lights. I have lots of clamp-on and magnet lights that work just fine but I wanted a more unique solution. I ended up buying some rechargeable under-cabinet lights that mount in a magnetic cradle that allows for swiveling. They are out out 1200 lumens and have a proximity sensor mode as well. See my approach below. I mounted the bases for three lights on my truck and it turned out great.

IMG_0339.jpegIMG_0340.jpegIMG_0354.jpeg

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
@TheGrrrrr where on Earth did you get those lights? I assume they are made for the outdoors? I googled them and can't seem to find them anywhere online.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
@TheGrrrrr where on Earth did you get those lights? I assume they are made for the outdoors? I googled them and can't seem to find them anywhere online.
Definitely not made for outdoors, so really only good for use in fair weather. Living in AZ I don’t do a lot of camping in the rain. Also worth noting that I only attach them when setting up camp as they would never stay put while driving. I stow them in the tailgate storage area of my LC when not in use. Being that they are rechargeable, no hardwiring is required which was attractive to me.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Something about this forum and Amazon links simply doesn't work.. can you post the product name?
I appreciate it.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
Something about this forum and Amazon links simply doesn't work.. can you post the product name?
I appreciate it.
Seems like amazon links work on the laptop but not when viewing on phone. The name on Amazon is: "LED Closet Light,Donewin Wireless Under Cabinet Light,Motion Sensor Light for Closet,Kitchen Counter,Stairs,Hallway,2400mAh Rechargeable,Stick On Lights(15.7"Inch,Silver,6000K)"

Reactions: WAYAWAY

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Seems like amazon links work on the laptop but not when viewing on phone. The name on Amazon is: "LED Closet Light,Donewin Wireless Under Cabinet Light,Motion Sensor Light for Closet,Kitchen Counter,Stairs,Hallway,2400mAh Rechargeable,Stick On Lights(15.7"Inch,Silver,6000K)"
Thank you!

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
I'll probably end up wiring in higher-end work/flood/scene light in these locations eventually, but I wanted to experiment with a low cost, easy mod anyone could do and I think this worked out well. Is it rugged? No. Is it ideal? No. Does it work? Yes. I really like the proximity sensors as a security device as I will be sleeping inside the vehicle most of the time. All in all, I'm happy with the results.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Definitely not made for outdoors, so really only good for use in fair weather. Living in AZ I don’t do a lot of camping in the rain. Also worth noting that I only attach them when setting up camp as they would never stay put while driving. I stow them in the tailgate storage area of my LC when not in use. Being that they are rechargeable, no hardwiring is required which was attractive to me.

Thanks, I didn't realize they were magnetic so easy to attach and detach from a vehicle! Already have some solar lights I might look into added a magnetic strip to so I can use those in the same way, I have 4 of them so worth a try.

RiverJon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Valley Forge, PA, USA
Member #

Check out these handy little Husky Magnetic spot lights from the Home Depot, around $10-$15 each depending on the small or large sizes they offer. They are battery powered and can be moved virtually anywhere you have a metal/steel surface. I keep them mounted inside as spotlights in my jeep camper in several locations (see image). If I need it outside I can just grab one or two and affix them anywhere on the jeep. Definitely not a permanent mount outside but they stay affixed very well on the inside. As I have used them, one of the magnets came off but I just gorilla glued it back on.

IMG_3288.jpeg

Reactions: Downs

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@TheGrrrrr - That is thinking out of the box! Neat idea.

I appreciate it.
This is caused by ad blockers. An easy way to access the Amazon link is by pressing "reply" to the post with the broken Amazon link, copying the Amazon product code (circled below) and pasting that product code in the Amazon search bar. Presto, the product shows up.
ink.png

Reactions: WAYAWAY