In the Beginning

• HTML tutorial

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

So just starting out, after some research i feel the only thing really needed are tires, recovery gear and maybe a air compressor?

Any tips on gear i should look into? my truck is completely stock.

Reactions: TerryD and Levidale

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
What vehicle so you have? Bigger tires my require lift kit. Do you want on board air or a portable solution? Recovery great is simple but one needs shakles, recover strap, tow strap, snatch block, and dapper at minimum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So just starting out, after some research i feel the only thing really needed are tires, recovery gear and maybe a air compressor?

Any tips on gear i should look into? my truck is completely stock.
A good first aid / trauma kit is a must!

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I have a new Tacoma. I feel i should state up front that my goal isnt to go find some rocks or mud to play in, im just trying to get to some remote places. I dont think im going to get BIG tires i just need something more all terrain. I feel the smart move for me ATM is to do portable although i would rather have on board air.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I was a medic in the military so i have first aid covered, good tip.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Your plan sounds really good. It's always best to know your truck, and know your own goals before you start upgrading things and going crazy.

A good set of AT's will serve you well enough. Portable Air is fine. OBA is fancy, but not really needed. Recovery gear is really based on where you're going to some degree. Sand vs Mud for example. Start with some basics. Can you fix a flat one the road? Change a tire? Get yourself out of a hole? Shovel, a Jack of some type (hi-lift or safety jack), maybe traction ladders.

What kind of terrain will you encounter and what are the chances you'll get stuck or what are the problems you would encounter. Probably more questions to think about. And those questions will determine what you need.

Reactions: TerryD

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

Im going to try and not rule out any type of terrain. I am not a weekender when it comes to the outdoors. i more or less just live in them and visit family in the cold months. So i feel i need to be prepared for both mud and sand. I am pretty mechanically inclined and can handle punctures and flats.. i dont know if i could get a tire seated again like i see some guys doing in videos. I wont be afraid to turn around if i am skeptical of terrain.. and since i dont know what im doing i will be skeptical of a lot of terrain ahah.

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
What kind of shoes did your come with... When I bought one back in 97 they were Dunlop junk, I only got 25000ish miles before I put some BFG AT. Those lasted just shy of 80000ish. I never had an issue in any situation/terrain. Also what year and body did you get?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I have a new Tacoma. I feel i should state up front that my goal isnt to go find some rocks or mud to play in, im just trying to get to some remote places. I dont think im going to get BIG tires i just need something more all terrain. I feel the smart move for me ATM is to do portable although i would rather have on board air.
A good set of AT tires will get most people anywhere they want to go. Some guys live on mud tires, but few actually need them. Personally I am a Mickey Thompson and Nitto fan. I have had several sets Nittos and have been exceptionally happy with them. I was talked into Mickey Thompsons for my Ram and I have been really pleased.

When it comes to portable air a couple good solutions are out there. ARB seems to top of the heap but Smittybuilt and Vair are common seen and recommended.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

i got a 2017 SR5 4x4. im going to have to go out and look but they are just some generic road tires, i will probably use them until i am faced with terrain they can no longer handle. Im trying to keep my modifications to a minimum but i know at some point im going to need a air compressor and im going to need a dual battery system. Yeah i feel with my offroad needs a good set of tires is going to do the job. i dont know much about tires and stuff but have been watching some videos and doing some research. I also dont really understand size which seems to be a big dick contest to me. I did read about Nittos, i feel like a saw a video of a guy saying road noise wasnt awful with them which is kind of important to me. I have looked into some of the ARB compressors... expensive. im sure ill pony up for it eventually.

Im curious about my need for underbody armor. should i be concerned? Like i said im not out there trying to slay crazy trails.. im also aware of murphys law. just want to make sure my truck i can barely afford is safe ahah

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Im curious about my need for underbody armor. should i be concerned? Like i said im not out there trying to slay crazy trails.. im also aware of murphys law. just want to make sure my truck i can barely afford is safe ahah
Not sure about in your neck of the TX woods but here even on road could use some underbody armor. Girlfriend's Aunt lost a fuel tank in her Toyota driving from Denver to Silverthorne on I70. A rock had rolled down the mountain and into the center of the lane. She thought she could straddle it, but the diff kicked it up and poked a hole in the tank. Cost her about a grand between new tank, pump, tow and labor.

From what I hear down in Tx you need a cattle guard to keep the Deer off the hood. :) if you drive around dusk/dawn.

Boort

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Tire size is actually pretty simple. The first number is the width of the tire in mm, the second is aspect ratio (side wall relative to width), and the third is rim diameter. Two things are important when picking a tire. First and foremost is tread pattern. This will not only determine the amount of bite you get on both the road and trail but also determines road noise. And secondly is the sidewall. You want enough sidewall so you can air down on the trail and it has to be tough enough to endure this.

Skid plates are a individual issue. If you are rock crawling get as crazy as you like. For general off-road use get the important parts. Oil pan, transmission, and fuel tank.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I may live in Texas but i go all over the country. Yeah i may invest in some underbody armor then. It makes sense and im not trying to break my shit. Not currently interested in bumpers or anything crazy (I also quite like the front end of the new Tacoma. if they wouldnt have changed it in 2016 i would have got a nissan.) . You arent wrong about the deer though especially around my area.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'd still consider a heavy steel bumper. I drive to San Antonio from San Marcos every day and seen what even an empty cardboard box can do to modern vehicles at highway speeds. Too much plastic and thin sheet metal. I also slid into the back end of a truck parked in the fast lane on 35 one time and it put some of the damage on him and let me drive home from what would otherwise have been a totaled jeep. I don't think he minded the damage because his tires were spinning when I mentioned insurance and police report.

Also, some rarely mentioned armor is to put some galvanized 1/4 inch hardware mesh in every opening up front to protect your radiator from rocks and debris.

For air, my little 12v harbor freight air pump works well enough to get me back on the road. No frills, but after converting it to use standard fittings it has been plenty for tending to tires. You could go that route to see if you need something fancier.

Recovery gear will vary but a small shovel and a tow strap has always been the items most useful for me no matter what I drive. Wal-Mart has a strap I like that rolls itself up and keeps the strap tensioned and out of mud, sand, etc. Again, nothing fancy but it has been handy.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Only thing I would say different then some about tools or gear is: Cheap stuff may work fine now - but it is CHEAP for a reason! Having been self employed must of my life in construction and manufacturing, having a cheap tool give out in the middle of a job just plan sucks!

And now we are talking about out back off the grid away from AAA road side service - where sometimes your gear can be an issue of injury not needed or life. Bell helmets use to have an advertising slogan years ago when their helmets were the best and pricey at the time - "if you have a $10.00 head then buy a $10.00 helmet".

Plus I have tools (Milwaukee worm drive circular saw and 1/2" drill) that I still use today for projects that I bought in 1985 or so. Buy cheap and buy again and again or buy quality once. Just my opinion.

Reactions: RockyMountaineer

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

Also, I just decided the mountains are calling so im packing my shit up and going to Colorado. looks like ill be making my upgrades on the road.

Reactions: Daryl 32