Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I plan to go to the Boise Idaho area maybe next spring or summer. Can someone tell me of places we can diapered camp out of our rig? I would like to stay about a week checking out the area. Looks like there is some BLM land near the boarder of Oregon. Maybe some forest land in the mountains.

Thanks, Clay

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Clay, there is alot of "Public Lands" near Boise. Some of this is camp-able. Some isn't, because it's fragile -or- on a National Trail. Boise was a depot for those who came across the Oregon Trial, which crosses the city. 100% of Boise Ave., is the path of the OT through East Boise. The Boise N.F. and Payette N.F. are to the north. It's been a while since I've dispersed camp along the Middle Fork, and North Fork of the Boise River drainage. I'd check with the N. F. is do-able. Going south, you get into the Birds of Prey, and Federal bombing range. Then there is the Owyhee's - which is too far from Boise to use it as a Basecamp. I live here, have lots of maps and access to regional offices. Your timing MATTERS - Mountains can be Snowbound in June, and it can be 100 degrees at the same time. Then there are the over filled creeks, with Ice cold waters... David

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Clay, there is alot of "Public Lands" near Boise. Some of this is camp-able. Some isn't, because it's fragile -or- on a National Trail. Boise was a depot for those who came across the Oregon Trial, which crosses the city. 100% of Boise Ave., is the path of the OT through East Boise. The Boise N.F. and Payette N.F. are to the north. It's been a while since I've dispersed camp along the Middle Fork, and North Fork of the Boise River drainage. I'd check with the N. F. is do-able. Going south, you get into the Birds of Prey, and Federal bombing range. Then there is the Owyhee's - which is too far from Boise to use it as a Basecamp. I live here, have lots of maps and access to regional offices. Your timing MATTERS - Mountains can be Snowbound in June, and it can be 100 degrees at the same time. Then there are the over filled creeks, with Ice cold waters... David
Thanks. I understand the seasonal extremes being from Eastern Washington. The desert areas are freezing cold in the winter with snow and wind, and scorching hot in the summer. The Cascades get a lot of snow blocking some access into July. A lot of mountain areas around here are close in the winter to wheeled vehicles. That pushed us toward the desert areas since we are active wheelers and campers all year.

I just ran across a map of trails that shows a lot. Of course it doesn't have where you can and can't camp. ArcGIS Web Application

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks. I understand the seasonal extremes being from Eastern Washington. The desert areas are freezing cold in the winter with snow and wind, and scorching hot in the summer. The Cascades get a lot of snow blocking some access into July. A lot of mountain areas around here are close in the winter to wheeled vehicles. That pushed us toward the desert areas since we are active wheelers and campers all year.

I just ran across a map of trails that shows a lot. Of course it doesn't have where you can and can't camp. ArcGIS Web Application
Check out SW Idaho Overlanding on YouTube. George @GHCOE does most of his videos near Boise, as that is where he is from. As @David C Gibbs said, there are lots of places to camp. Are you visiting Boise City, or just the area?

Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Check out SW Idaho Overlanding on YouTube. George @GHCOE does most of his videos near Boise, as that is where he is from. As @David C Gibbs said, there are lots of places to camp. Are you visiting Boise City, or just the area?
I am more interested in what motorize outdoor recreation there is in that area of Idaho.

The rest of my 5 kids will be out of the house in a few years so I want to go explore areas to relocate in the future. I plan to go overlanding to see different areas outside of Washington State for a future move. I picked Boise since it has a VA Clinic and sunshine like Yakima. I also have Billings Montana on the list but there doesn't look like any place to diapered camp in many miles. I am kind of spoil because of all the recreation areas near my home in Selah. I love it here but don't like the Washington State politics that has effected my family and business.

I will look for the videos.

Thanks for the info, Clay

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am more interested in what motorize outdoor recreation there is in that area of Idaho.

The rest of my 5 kids will be out of the house in a few years so I want to go explore areas to relocate in the future. I plan to go overlanding to see different areas outside of Washington State for a future move. I picked Boise since it has a VA Clinic and sunshine like Yakima. I also have Billings Montana on the list but there doesn't look like any place to diapered camp in many miles. I am kind of spoil because of all the recreation areas near my home in Selah. I love it here but don't like the Washington State politics that has effected my family and business.

I will look for the videos.

Thanks for the info, Clay
There is a lot to do around the Boise area… I’m looking to relocate there myself in the nearish future for the same reasons you mentioned. I’ll probably head more towards Caldwell/Napa area, or to Garden City.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
There is a lot to do around the Boise area… I’m looking to relocate there myself in the nearish future for the same reasons you mentioned. I’ll probably head more towards Caldwell/Napa area, or to Garden City.
Yes, I am not wanting to be in Boise. It would have to be in the country near a smaller town. I found a place for sale southeast of Homedale. Not that I am ready to move anytime soon. Just like to compare prices to where I am at now.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes, I am not wanting to be in Boise. It would have to be in the country near a smaller town. I found a place for sale southeast of Homedale. Not that I am ready to move anytime soon. Just like to compare prices to where I am at now.
One thing to think about when looking to move to the Boise area: Most of the counties around Boise and inside the Treasure Valley require vehicle emissions testing. So you need to look at what those requirements are. As of now, Ada County, Canyon County, and the City of Kuna are the only counties/cities in Idaho that require emissions testing.

Lastly, OB1 shows quite a few camp sights near Boise. Some are paid camp grounds with services, but a lot of them are dispersed camping.

@David H is the Boise area member rep. David and @reaver do a lot of traveling just outside of Boise. I know @reaver has a couple of trips lined up for the summer and both are excellent sources of information.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
One thing to think about when looking to move to the Boise area: Most of the counties around Boise and inside the Treasure Valley require vehicle emissions testing. So you need to look at what those requirements are. As of now, Ada County, Canyon County, and the City of Kuna are the only counties/cities in Idaho that require emissions testing.

Lastly, OB1 shows quite a few camp sights near Boise. Some are paid camp grounds with services, but a lot of them are dispersed camping.

@David H is the Boise area member rep. David and @reaver do a lot of traveling just outside of Boise. I know @reaver has a couple of trips lined up for the summer and both are excellent sources of information.
Thanks for the heads up on emissions testing. I guess two of my vehicles already failed. :dizzy: I know the wife will not give up her built Mustang GT. I am guessing vehicle license will cost more than here in Yakima.

I would think there would be more camps than the OB1 shows. That is a good starting point for sure.

I would like to go check out SW Idaho sooner than later, but since the Governors mandates started in March 2020 our business has been hurting. The high fuel prices is also killing profit. Business is slowing coming back so I hope to go next year.

Thanks for all the help.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the heads up on emissions testing. I guess two of my vehicles already failed. :dizzy: I know the wife will not give up her built Mustang GT. I am guessing vehicle license will cost more than here in Yakima.

I would think there would be more camps than the OB1 shows. That is a good starting point for sure.

I would like to go check out SW Idaho sooner than later, but since the Governors mandates started in March 2020 our business has been hurting. The high fuel prices is also killing profit. Business is slowing coming back so I hope to go next year.

Thanks for all the help.
No problem, that’s what I’m here for… also I know you’re part of a nice sized club there in eastern Washington, @David H is a member of a large club as well there in Boise, so you should be able to find lots of people to adventure with.

I hear you on the high cost of gas at the moment… gas near Boise is considerably cheaper than here in oregon, and we are a little cheaper than you are there. But the cost of gas has made me park my Bronco for the summer and adventure by bicycle. I’m hopeful that this is a temporary setback, but making plans in case the gas price epidemic continues for the long haul.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
No problem, that’s what I’m here for… also I know you’re part of a nice sized club there in eastern Washington, @David H is a member of a large club as well there in Boise, so you should be able to find lots of people to adventure with.

I hear you on the high cost of gas at the moment… gas near Boise is considerably cheaper than here in oregon, and we are a little cheaper than you are there. But the cost of gas has made me park my Bronco for the summer and adventure by bicycle. I’m hopeful that this is a temporary setback, but making plans in case the gas price epidemic continues for the long haul.
Cost of gas has also made me shelve many of the trips I had planned for this year. Instead, we'll just be doing normal camping trips within a couple of hours of home.

@Ceg if you're looking to spend about a week, I you could do the Idaho BDR. I know of a fantastic camp spot along the Owyhee River (ask @M Rose and @David H), as well as all sorts of neat, interesting geological and historical sites scattered in the owyhees.

As far as the Boise Mountains go.... I'm much less familiar with that area, as I've only recently started exploring them. I've been building a list of possible camp sites. When you come out, depending on timing, I'd be happy to spend a few days showing you around and exploring wherever you'd like to go.

Keep in mind, that gas is fairly sparse up there.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

That is good to know their is an active group there. If I move I will still do a few trip a year with my group. The Blue Mountain trip is always a good one.

I am hoping the fuel prices go back down so I can make our annual trips. If they don't come down I may have to get another hobby.

Reactions: David H and M Rose

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Cost of gas has also made me shelve many of the trips I had planned for this year. Instead, we'll just be doing normal camping trips within a couple of hours of home.

@Ceg if you're looking to spend about a week, I you could do the Idaho BDR. I know of a fantastic camp spot along the Owyhee River (ask @M Rose and @David H), as well as all sorts of neat, interesting geological and historical sites scattered in the owyhees.

As far as the Boise Mountains go.... I'm much less familiar with that area, as I've only recently started exploring them. I've been building a list of possible camp sites. When you come out, depending on timing, I'd be happy to spend a few days showing you around and exploring wherever you'd like to go.

Keep in mind, that gas is fairly sparse up there.
The Idaho BDR sounds fun. I like trips where you get to see stuff you haven't seen before. I will ad it to my list of things to do.

That would be cool if you could show me around. I will keep that in mind when fuel prices come back down.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you!
OK - couldn't help myself and fast-tracked the BLM routes on the map. This is nationwide. Around Boise (30 miles South) you'll see tracks that look like the image below. This is in addition to the USFS MVUM which we've had in the app for a while now. The general location of these trails around Boise is here (this link should open in the OB1 app if you have it):

43.3241, -116.6421
Overland Bound One - Overland Bound

Though I see quite a few to the East as well around MacKay. I've not travelled specifically in this area so perhaps someone else knows there area better.

Regardless, should be useful to have the BLM routes in there.

I also checked the "Expedition" box on your account so you can try out offline features and track recording (route planning coming soon). Let me know what you think! Any feedback is appreciated!

1655219178368.png

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
OK - couldn't help myself and fast-tracked the BLM routes on the map. This is nationwide. Around Boise (30 miles South) you'll see tracks that look like the image below. This is in addition to the USFS MVUM which we've had in the app for a while now. The general location of these trails around Boise is here (this link should open in the OB1 app if you have it):

43.3241, -116.6421

Though I see quite a few to the East as well around MacKay. I've not travelled specifically in this area so perhaps someone else knows there area better.

I also checked the "Expedition" box on your account so you can try out offline features and track recording (route planning coming soon). Let me know what you think! Any feedback is appreciated!

View attachment 233150
Good to know this feature is now active.Thanks @Michael

If gas wasn't so freaking expensive right now, I'd be out exploring and testing these features more

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

43.3241, -116.6421

View attachment 233150
Wow thanks. There is a lot of BLM land to check out down that way.

Reactions: Michael