Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

2) Location (General area is fine)
I am Texan born and raised.
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
2017, Toyota Tacoma
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
So, i dont 4x4 and in fact have never been interested in it. I dont know anything about it other than my jeep friends would go out and break their shit, spend 1000$ and go break it again. Which honestly diddnt make a lot of sense to me.

What i do have is a lot of experience camping and orientating. I have been thru hiking long trails such as the Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail and Pacific Crest Trail for the past 3-4 years. I was 500 miles into the Pacific Crest trail this year when i just got tired of walking and investing that amount of time into one trail (2-7 months.) So you could say i have a lot of experience in the outdoors.

So thats when overlanding came up on my radar. The ability to get to the remote places i love, and being capable of being offgrid for 30 days (even hiking trails i would have to go into towns and resupply food/consumables weekly) sounded pretty good to me. Bought a tacoma about a week ago, and i guess im off to the races..

Would be interested in some kind of meetup or any type of beginner 4x4 advice.

Thank you all in advance and thank you for having me.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome from Austin, TX. I'm sure you will find lots of good information on this forum. This is a very welcomeing community of people. We have a meet up in Austin at the end of the month, if you are interested. Im not sure where in TX you live.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I am not far from Austin and dont mind a drive in general. I might be able to come out, i fully intend on going to Colorado next month and living in the san juans for 30-60 days. Meeting some people with experience beforehand would be a good thing as i intend to just throw myself in the fire and adapt as needed.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Howdy from Dallas! Nice to seen more and more Texas on the boards! Welcome to the OB fam. Based on your post, your are definitely an experienced outdoors-man!

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

So, i have been in Colorado for almost a week now. I have now acquired some basic gear. Removed the chin spoiler after the first roughish road. All in all thinga have gone well. Snapped a photo of the truck. Getting new shoes on friday, then doing the Alpine Loop.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

Also, just by my first experiences with rougher roads im more interested in some armor.

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Welcome from North Fort Worth. I hear you about enjoying camping, from the age of 11 to 25 I would go camping ~ one weekend a month. I do enjoy wheeling (off-roading). 1st time out broke my CV axle though.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

So, i have been in Colorado for almost a week now. I have now acquired some basic gear. Removed the chin spoiler after the first roughish road. All in all thinga have gone well. Snapped a photo of the truck. Getting new shoes on friday, then doing the Alpine Loop.
That was fast! Did you leave the day after your first post? lol

Not a bash btw, I think it's pretty awesome. You're obvioulsy an impulsive type of person!

My wife and I are headed that was in a week and a half! Welcome!

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I think i left after my 3rd post ahaha. I guess you could say that ahah. Im fortunate to not have any strings on me.

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I think i left after my 3rd post ahaha. I guess you could say that ahah. Im fortunate to not have any strings on me.
I have two friends like that. One does light and sound rigging for concerts and large productions (like Cirque and such), so he travels all over the world for work, but also has a lot of down time. For a couple years he didn't have a home or even car, since he moved around so much for work and when off he spent his time travelling for fun.. He would just rent cars at each destination (at the time he would be in a city for a couple weeks at a time).

The other is just starting teaching emersive english in other countries and is currently awaiting his first trip to Chile.

I joined the Army at 17 and was married with a kid before I got out, so I have never had, but always envied that luxury.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Welcome. You picked a good truck. If you haven't found it already, Tacomaworld is a great place to find info on anything Tacoma off-road related. (Armor) you can also go to the Tacoma Registry thread here. There are quite a few of us and a lot of us have done substantial upgrades.

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

I have two friends like that. One does light and sound rigging for concerts and large productions (like Cirque and such), so he travels all over the world for work, but also has a lot of down time. For a couple years he didn't have a home or even car, since he moved around so much for work and when off he spent his time travelling for fun.. He would just rent cars at each destination (at the time he would be in a city for a couple weeks at a time).

The other is just starting teaching emersive english in other countries and is currently awaiting his first trip to Chile.

I joined the Army at 17 and was married with a kid before I got out, so I have never had, but always envied that luxury.

I also had the privilege of serving. When i got out in 2014 i sold everything i owned and started walking trails. Since the purchase of this truck everything i owned i wore on my back. Ive bought more shit in the past month than i have in 3 years.

Reactions: Craig M

Badrun

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

Thank
Welcome. You picked a good truck. If you haven't found it already, Tacomaworld is a great place to find info on anything Tacoma off-road related. (Armor) you can also go to the Tacoma Registry thread here. There are quite a few of us and a lot of us have done substantial upgrades.

Thanks, i have found it but havent messed around a lot. Tacoma world is a bit overwhelming.