• HTML tutorial

venture4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Nomadic
Member #

Hey folks!

Back in March, I set off in my camper-equipped Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, with the intention of wandering around the country with NO plan, and sustaining the overland lifestyle while on the road.

As I'm typing this, it's been 4.5 months of living in the Jeep. I left Pennsylvania during a nor-easter that blanketed the northeast in snow. In West Virginia, I woke up in the morning with unrelenting wind, snow, and single-digit temperatures.

Needless to say, I wasted no time traveling further south, to Virginia, where temperatures were much more comfortable!

I usually travel in 3-5 hour increments, targeting charming small towns, ideally surrounded by wilderness areas where dispersed camping is abundant. Coffee shops and public libraries grant me Internet access where I do web development and content creation to make ends meet.

When I get to where I'm going, wherever that may be, I usually settle in for a week. I get to know the town, the people, and it's surroundings. It enables me to experience places better, and to discover wonderful things that I might've overlooked had I passed right through.

Furthermore, lingering at these way-stops is cost-effective as I'm not constantly filling the Jeep with gas as I travel across the country. It gives me the opportunity to replenish my funds and to not over-spend on travel expenses. While I've traveled thousands of miles so far, these bite-sized chunks make it feel like I haven't traveled very far at all!

Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, and now Oregon!

The desert in July was hot! I knew that I was in for some hot temperatures, but before this westward journey, I'd never even seen a wild cactus before. So I was willing to subject myself to some discomfort just for the experience. The glue that affixed my dashboard-mounted bobblehead to his pedestal melted, and needed to be re-adhered twice!

When I started traveling, I decided that I would record video clips of my experiences on my smartphone, and then at the end of the week, I'd upload a very raw 20-30 minute movie to YouTube. I still do this religiously, but it's evolving and becoming a much bigger part of my journey than I originally anticipated.

You're invited to follow along, as this journey is far from over!

http://youtube.com/c/venture4wd

I'm currently in Bend, enroute to Portland, Oregon, in the next week or so. In Portland, I'm going to take a breather, regroup, perform some maintenance on the Jeep, and explore the surrounding area.

If you're following along, and you see that I'm in your neck of the woods, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'd love to share a campfire, or even an adventure!

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest!

Like you I was bitten by the wanderlust bug and I'm on my way up to Alaska. I'm currently in Vancouver WA, just across the river from Portland. I'm starting the WABDR today or tomorrow.

Maybe we will cross paths at some point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

That pop up roof is amazing.

Also... that movie tho... #feels

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Head west from Portland through the town of Forest Grove and into Tillamook State forest for some very cool trails and camping.

Man this sounds like a great idea.

Sub'd for updates.