Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

We have all probably been in the position where you purchase or make a modification to your rig and you end up disappointed with it. If you could go and change or re-do one modification that you have done to your vehicle what would it be and why?
Mine would be the Purple Cranium rear diff cover. They make a decent product but for the price, I could have gotten something more substantial. Also the powder coating has recently chipped off and began to rust.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Well, I already did redo it. I originally went with a 2" budget boost when I first bought my Wrangler. A few months ago I finally replaced it with a 3" Zone Lift. Also had my front Dana 30 sleeved and gusseted so I can eventually get rid of my 33's and put 35's on it. If a person is "mall crawling" a budget boost is fine. But if you're going to actually go off-roading, get a real lift and be done with it. As they say, "buy once, cry once". Learned my lesson hopefully.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

We have all probably been in the position where you purchase or make a modification to your rig and you end up disappointed with it. If you could go and change or re-do one modification that you have done to your vehicle what would it be and why?
Mine would be the Purple Cranium rear diff cover. They make a decent product but for the price, I could have gotten something more substantial. Also the powder coating has recently chipped off and began to rust.
Surprised you are having issues with the finish on your Purple Cranium. I have been running one on mine for 6 years and no issues with it. I did get a good deal on mine so no regrets but can see what you are saying. Overall I can't think of any mods I have done that I regret. I have had a couple that I have changed as my needs changed but overall no regrets.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Surprised you are having issues with the finish on your Purple Cranium. I have been running one on mine for 6 years and no issues with it. I did get a good deal on mine so no regrets but can see what you are saying. Overall I can't think of any mods I have done that I regret. I have had a couple that I have changed as my needs changed but overall no regrets.
I have had mine for about as long. Not to hate on the company, they do make pretty good products, but I had issues with it from the day the package arrived. They forgot to add the replacement bolts so I had to wait a month for them to resend them, then they sent the improper ones that were to long. So it took around 2 months before I could install it. It wasn't a big deal, more of an annoyance because I had to postpone a trip.

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have had mine for about as long. Not to hate on the company, they do make pretty good products, but I had issues with it from the day the package arrived. They forgot to add the replacement bolts so I had to wait a month for them to resend them, then they sent the improper ones that were to long. So it took around 2 months before I could install it. It wasn't a big deal, more of an annoyance because I had to postpone a trip.
That's a bunch of BS. You should not have to deal with stuff like that from a reputable company. I would be regretting that mod as well. I also don't take your comments on hating on the company, just honest feedback on your experience which people should know.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Like ShawnR, I already changed mine, two of them in fact. It was my bumper/fender combination and wheels. Originally I went with an ARB stubby bumper with MCE fender flares which I didn't like as much as I thought I would a couple of months later. I changed that out for stock flares and an AEV front bumper.

As for the wheels, I originally had some 15" steel wheels which I again hated. I moved to 17" AEV Salta's and naturally had to buy new tires too. It was a lot of wasted cash, but I guess that's what you get for making poor decisions on your rig first time around.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

My plate steel rear bumper. Truck was still very new when I ordered the bumper, and I wanted to get the high-clearance version, but was afraid of chopping body panels. Went with the standard rear bumper intead, and regretted it the first time I went wheeling.

I have since sold that bumper, and trimmed the rear quarter panels, and have a high-clearance bumper in the works.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

putting standard side steps on the truck instead of sliders. I've spent a fair amount of time making sure I don't rip them off. Live and learn, I'll change them soon enough.

Reactions: 15Canyon

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

putting standard side steps on the truck instead of sliders. I've spent a fair amount of time making sure I don't rip them off. Live and learn, I'll change them soon enough.
I've got the same problem. I really like them, I find them useful, but at the same time I'm worried they're gonna get flat out destroyed one of these days.

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

I learned that lesson the hard way as well, got sliders on the truck now and had them made to be a little wider so they could do double duty as sliders and steps.