britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I can still see snow in the high country from my cabin. I'm at 3500. I've driven up past 4300 where there are no washouts and on the south face trails. A local bush pilot flew over the North Fork Ranger district last week and Hoodoo Pass (rd 250) is still 6 ft deep on both sides for 1-2 miles. Large mud and snow slide at Black Rock Canyon as well. I don' really think about getting up far on the Lolo Motorway until after the 4th of July in a light winter. Campfire bans around my area (Clearwater NF) depend on fire conditions, no set date. But we had about 5 minutes last year where the section of the IDBR from Pierce to Avery was open after the snow melt, until the wildfires started. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Thanks @britz ! Yeah, last time I was up there in early July and there was still snow remnants but the trail was clear, but there was already fire restrictions :(

Paul Daniels

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane Washington
Member #

Working on planning a trip up to Silver Lake
https://www.google.com/maps/place/47°21'34.0"N+115°33'58.9"W/@47.359452,-115.5685487,742m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d47.3594516!4d-115.5663599

Anyone close to that area know where the snow level is at? I'd like to go before they shutdown campfires for the season, but also not wanting to fight snow going up the trail.

Anyone interested in joining? I'll create a rally point if anyone is.

TIA!
-Aaron
Found you guys, I'm in

Sent from my SM-N920T using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I can leave any day, one of the perks of being a bum. If in the unlikely chance Hoodoo pass is open, We'll go up through there and meet you guys somewhere. But most likely we'll drive up towards Spokompton/CdA (h/t Cpt. Chaos) the day before and crash in the rig.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I want to go to the Snow Peak Wildlife Management area sometime soon, also.

I can rarely get home at a decent time, especially on Fridays. But, all I would need is a pin drop on a map and I’ll find you. I won’t stop everyone from leaving early just because I work a lot.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I was looking at my maps this weekend, I want to check out that FR that goes up around Old Dominion Peak on the ridge above Silver Lake. All depends on Mother Nature opening the forest roads..

That ridge road looks close to where we were banging around the St. Joe's last year, in fact dumps out on the road Kris and I took when you guys continued on back toward Spokane.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

How does 6/15 (sat) & 6/16 (sunday) Sound for ya'll? It's Fathers Day that Sunday... I'd be game to go a day earlier or stay a day later as well, if that helps.
I'd like to work out the date before I set it in stone in a Rally Point, so let me know @Captain Chaos @chuckoverland @Paul Daniels

I'm down to explore some more of that area @britz

I know I'm forgetting people who went last year, so tag em if you do.
Thanks!
-Aaron

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Will it be open then? I was surprised I could get through Hoodoo pass last year. If that area is open, I can probably get through going up towards St. Maries.

@pierceg , paul, and MikeDubya (cant remember screen names) were there.

And I'm going to throw out the last 2 sections of the IDBDR, Wallace to the border, haven't done those yet. The section from the cabin to Avery still had a bit of snow the first week of Aug last year, so I'll have to research when the before-mentioned sections would be open.

And for extra credit, I'm going to start reconning areas of Hell's Canyon, West side, and Wallowa Whitman NF, and seeing if that's worth organizing a trip.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We have a birthday party in oregon to attend that weekend, and rally is the next weekend. We will make it to a group camp eventually though.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

@britz I don't know if it will be open by then or not, maybe wishful thinking. I'll check the conditions.

Maybe the weekend after Overland Rally? @chuckoverland That'd be the 29th/30th

So much to pack in in a single summer!