Rank I

Contributor III

Valais, Switzerland
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Aeschimann
Thanks for your replay @Boucher =)
Sure, security is not an issue in Iceland. But when I'm talking about security, it's more about security against wild natural elements in Iceland ^^

Your other comments confirm what I have in mind and help to reassure me ;)
About the lift, it's a question of financial availability as well then the other mandatory points have the priority.

For the river crossing, the stock recommended deep is 30'' (75cm), then more than enough but a snorkel will be added for peace of mind, If I'm reaching this kind of deep, I will be very surprised by myself ^^'
I'm looking at some simple F-road without known deep river as first introduction at the East of the island.

Thanks for satellite comm. That's something I have to study deeper.

@socal66
I thought about that but looking at the way the rock crawler air down their tires, it doesn't seem to change a lot the height. Or you have to fully empty. I don't really like the idea to let my tires crushed by the car for 2,5 days.

We booked the ferry this week =D with the 1.9 height. I have other ideas (compress the suspension ~3'' using a Spanset and keep them compressed during the ferry trip) to try but in the worst case, I will go with stock height ;)

I'm checking tires for Iceland.
I have got a kit of KM3 255/75R17. There is this war with the k02 and I would like your feeling about Iceland driving.

Do you think a Mud tire is too much for Iceland and it's better to move on ak02 for better comfort during road travel (3000km Switzerland-Danemark round-trip)?

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I think you will be fine most water crossings are known roads and easy to cross here are a few pics of my 74 bronco crossing a small area near
Seljalandsfoss
1649594160839.png

1649594193726.png

1649594228640.png

These are all with stock tires no snorkel

1649594310026.png

This was after I lifted it a group of us going through the interior on F35 past Gullfoss on a trip to Akureyri, for tires during that time the BFG's was big and everyone had the Mud terrains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advtres

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN

Unfortunately Iceland journeys arent the same than in the past. Even if a Iceland trip isnt a cheapie to start (shipping, ferry) - there is too much tourism compared to the past. What did lead to regulations - like that wildcamping isnt allowed anymore...

It was so nice to stay alone in the wilderness! I cant go back, because I would miss this possibilites of the past.

trippin
Thats so sad , however, I did see a crapload of campers at the airport back in 2019 when visiting my friends. Are you able to still traverse through the interior?

jonAeschimann

Rank I

Contributor III

Valais, Switzerland
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Aeschimann
I understand your disappointment and lack of enthusiasm @4x4tripping.

But as 1st Overlanding experience, Iceland seems perfect.
No security issue, still in Europe (for car insurance), being in the wild without being 500km away from civilization, and very well documentation about road and conditions.
We will see in September if there still is some tourist crowd...
But I think in Europe, based on the stuff I've read, there is not a lot of areas left-over for real Overlanding adventure. Overland experience yes, but adventure not really.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Hi John,

The recovery and other items you list are fine. Before lifting, how about raising the diff/trany breathers?

You may find some F-roads or smaller 3-digit roads blocked due to late/early snow or too much residual water from last season's melt. Remain flexible.

For our first time on Iceland, we planned what sights we wanted to see and then planned a route that included the highlands. The highlands are great, but will suck time from your schedule. If you want to see some tourist sites (and why not) or spend a day or two in the capital, be cautious of the highlands draining your time. Reykjavik is a cool city and we spent two or three days there, midway in a trip, to regroup, repack, eat good, laundry, etc. I highly recommend the West Fjords. There you will find it a bit quieter. But, you will have to make distance to get there. Also a time-suck. We spent three days in the West Fjords. We see less but spend more time seeing.

F35 and F26 are good roads for experiencing the highlands and traversing from N to S as you plan. You should not have any issues in a stock jeep. Fill up before heading into the highlands. Fill up when you can. For some jaunts into the highlands you could try the 910 or 752.

Also, the north is quieter than the south, south-west. If you're going to drive the whole of Island, from the ferry hit south first and close in the north. You'll appreciate the lower tourism volume in the north as a closure. Otherwise, you may find that after getting used to the quiet of the north and west fjords the bustle of the golden circle and south may put you off.

If you booked the ferry and under-catergorized your vehicle dimensions, you will have to pay the difference at check-in. They automatically measure the vehicle. Don't be one of those travelers.

We use the "isLANDKORT", Map of the Central Highlands, 1:300K from Mál og mennng, Reise Know How Island map 1:425K, and the Iceland topo from Garmin in Basecamp and on a Garmin device. I got the Garmin topo from Nammi.is. Only place I could find it.

Iceland will be a great trip. Sure, there will be other tourists but that won't ruin the trip, contrary to what others may tell you instead of providing some helpful tips. But that's their MO. I'll be there again this summer in a European Toyota LC J150 Prado (Lexus GX460). Not lifted. Bash plates, snorkel, and RTT and the usual stuff inside. I've not had any issues in the highlands. I avoid the roads categorized as "jeep roads" (those without numbers) and have had to turn around or back out on some of the 3-digit roads. All part of the journey. And that's the fun of it.

Enjoy your trip.

Rick

• Love
Reactions: El-Dracho

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

My wife and I rented a campervan in 2019 for a week or so and had a lot of fun - no F roads though. On the F roads, do you still have to camp in defined campgrounds, or can you dispersed (wild) camp?

jonAeschimann

Rank I

Contributor III

Valais, Switzerland
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Aeschimann
Hey @NotGumby
Thanks a lot for the info.
Didn't know this issue with the diff breather!! Nice to know ^^
I've asked around to find a place in Europe to get it... But as usual, seems complex.

We are going in September so I hope less melting snow and less tourist. But sure, this is what I'm loving with this kind of trip. We don't plan anything rigid. Just someplace we want to go and based on weather, where we are and what we like we will travel along the Island.

Yeap, I booked the ferry below 1.9m and will stick to it. If necessary, Smyrilline told me I can update with an extra fee my tickets if there is a place left-over in bigger categories.
We are going for 3 weeks, so the idea is to do the clockwise round of the Island and go in the highland for 2 days here and there from the south, Noth and East. F26, , F88, F905, F752...
Thanks also for the Map. I'm doing a lot of research but it will be mainly PDF of where I want to go with higher quality and GPS on simple maps just to have an idea of the localization and do the link between them.

@Brian Glendenning There is strict rules about wild camping. It exists some way to be able to camp outside of camping but it's so complex that it's better to take as ground-truth that is forbidden and you will get high fees!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Glendenning

MattLodi

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Reggio Emilia, RE, Italia
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lodi
I went there 5 years ago but i did the classic ringroad route, btw i've spoken with some people who have done that kind of trip and they said that tyres like BF KO2 are enough. I agree with who suggested you to check the height of your diff breathers (e.g. in my vehicle the rear breather was stupidly low) and to park pointing the wind. The Myvatn area is well known for gnats, i've seen some yt videos where people wear "mosquito net cap" (but when i was there i had no problem).