Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have driven a lot around Iceland over the last 15 years, and organised 2 Arctic Trucks Expeditions from Norway to Iceland during summer 2015 (www.ice2015.no) and summer 2017 (www.ice2017.no).

I have a lot of maps, tracking data, books, info, photos, videos, etc., etc.... from my extensive travels to Iceland (been travelling there since 1978).

Would be happy to share information about routes, roads, campsites, hostels, equipment, expectations, suggestions, requirements, etc., to anyone who is planning an Iceland adventure in the future.

Used quite a few campsites around Iceland in my time.

They are improving, and have shown marked improvements over the last 2-3 years, due to increased tourism to Iceland, but still are quite basic compared to some country standards.

And quite often, they have stunning backgrounds and views..........

Feel free to contact me - Happy to help & share.

Cheers
Neil :)

ICE-2017-0152-1024x530.jpg

ICE-2017-6694-1024x629.jpg

IMG_3758-1024x768.jpg

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Would love to take a trip there someday, either by plane or boat, you've seen my rig, do you think it could make it on some of the more normal-ish gravel roads with good allterrain tires and some underbody protection?

Sent from my Samsung S7 using OBTalk app

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Would love to take a trip there someday, either by plane or boat, you've seen my rig, do you think it could make it on some of the more normal-ish gravel roads with good allterrain tires and some underbody protection?

Sent from my Samsung S7 using OBTalk app
Hei Joey

You could easily drive around Route 1, which circumnavigates the whole of Iceland, along the coastal regions.
It's tarmac virtually all the way, you would see a lot of Iceland, without making any alterations to your vehicle.

You could also drive on some of the more well kept gravel roads with your vehicle as it is.

Its only if you wish to take any of the more adventurous roads (F-roads) into the highlands, that you need to have a better equipped vehicle.
I wouldn't recommend you taking your vehicle on these roads, as the rough terrain and river crossings would soon put your vehicle under extreme stress-test....

If you fly over, you can rent a car, from ordinary street cars to super jeeps / Arctic Trucks - but this can be very expensive, even for the street cars....

I can help you plan a trip and suggest some cool routes and locations to visit if you wish - no worries....
I have loads of maps, books, info sheets, etc. for the whole of Iceland.

Cheers
Neil :)

Reactions: Boort and Kevigizmo

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Neil Q Smith I would appreciate that at some point, but first I need to pay off my car (15 more monthly payments) then I need to save up alot of money.

Sounds like you have a plan :)

Just let me know when you want to start planning the route and locations.
There is a great deal to see in Iceland, without going too far from tarmac and safe roads.

But you do need to save a fair amount of money for when you get there
It's one o the most expensive places on the planet...

Reactions: Kevigizmo

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I will let you know when we plan to go. Next years plan is the Atlantic coast through France, Spain and Portugal, we need a warm trip following this years trip to the Scottish Highlands and Islands and the North Coast 500.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Looking great,

Be interesting on what details come out as of when - i shall be keeping a keen eye and friends of mine have visited Iceland and said i must go!

So many places so little cash to do it haha :p

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I have a friend that goes just about every year from the United States to Iceland. He absolutely loves and I mean loves Iceland. He is" hoping to meet a nice Icelandic woman that likes a funny looking man " he says. lol

I am going to get there someday. It's in my top 5 places to go on the planet in my wish list. I read an article about scuba diving between the tectonic plates that really stuck with me.

Someday....someday.