I need recommendations for the best camping in the southeastern US in June

• HTML tutorial

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Like the title states, I'm looking for recommendations for June camping the southeast US. Ideally, I'll be staying in KOA style camp grounds during the trip. My wife and I were supposed to be heading to Utah this summer, driving my FJ and sleeping in our rooftop tent, but schedules have changed and we won't have the 2-3 weeks off together we thought we would. I'm looking for ideas for locations that offer camp sites with bathrooms and showers (gotta keep the wife happy). We are looking to do some scenic hiking, trail driving, maybe rafting if it's available and general site seeing. I'd also like to be somewhere in the hills if possible, just so it's a little cooler at night for the tent camping. I look forward to everyone's suggestions!

Pic from our trip a couple summers ago in Colorado.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

June in the southeast is when you might need some reservations, depending on where you are going. I would say to go into the smokey mountains area. It will be a little cooler but beautiful scenery. There are some campgrounds by Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg that could provide a good place to explore from, and give you some night life if so desired. I have not explored any of the back roads in that area but did go through those areas a few years ago.

Griffin Hooper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando,FL
First Name
Griffin
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

Clearwater Lake Recreation
24511 Co Rd 42, Paisley, FL 32767
(352) 669-0078

My kids and I come here, short hike around the lake and also the start of the Florida trail.
There is some off roading here with tons of trails (part slated for atv only but the 4runner took it like a champ!) switch to sat view on maps and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Keep me posted!

Reactions: Jade Overland

Griffin Hooper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando,FL
First Name
Griffin
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

Clearwater Lake Recreation
24511 Co Rd 42, Paisley, FL 32767
(352) 669-0078

My kids and I come here, short hike around the lake and also the start of the Florida trail.
There is some off roading here with tons of trails (part slated for atv only but the 4runner took it like a champ!) switch to sat view on maps and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Keep me posted!
Forgot to mention, there are nice showers and toilets.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

Devils Fork Campground on Lake Jocassee, SC. Amazing place, amazing lake, 42 Waterfalls to explore surrounding the area with thousands of trails for both hiking and offroading.

Also, if you enjoy the beach. you can try Hunting Island, SC. it offers camping in the woods, with hookups, bathrooms, showers, a store, etc. its very nice (idk if deer and critters coming around are your thing, but you can feed them out of your hand) and then you walk out of the woods and BOOM, youre on a very nice, uncrowded beach. Its the best of both worlds I suppose.\

Jordan lake, NC

Raven Rock state park, NC

In my honest opinion, and I am bias towards mountains.. but the most beautiful scenery in the southeast is going to be Upstate SC, western NC, eastern TN, and northern GA. anywhere in there is pretty amazing.

Also, You can try adventure trail campground in Cherokee, NC. its right in the middle of it all

Last edited:
Reactions: Jade Overland