I have a 4Runner but it is not 4x4, how much can I do?

• HTML tutorial

EJR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sugar Land, TX, USA
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Hello everyone, I am new in this world and I am going to ask for all the help that I can give.

I have a 4Runner but it is not 4x4, how much can I do?

Reactions: OtherOrb

Green Boot Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, GA, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Alexander
Member #

Honestly, a lot more than you could probably imagine. I had an older 4Runner a while back that wouldn't engage into 4WD and ended up doing trails I probably shouldn't have done 1) by myself and 2) with a vehicle incapable of shifting into 4WD, but was honestly impressed with how well it did. As it goes for any time of wheeling, going with someone with experience or capable of pulling you out is ideal.

There's plenty of folks on Overland Bound that are more than happy to assist with any questions you may have but definitely take a look and see if any questions you may ask have already been discussed in the forums.

Connor

Reactions: Retinens803 and EJR

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
While we spend a lot of time talking about the gear, you really only need the following things to truly overland:
1) The desire.
2) The time.
3) Some food and water.
4) Some kind of transportation (feet, beast, or mechanical)
5) A place to go.
6) Some kind of shelter for when you get there.

That's an extreme simplification, of course, but we see bicyclists along I40 all the time. We see hitchikers crossing the country all the time. We see a hundreds of people on foot, traveling 2500 miles trying to escape war and oppression.

It's not about the gear, it's about getting out there and taking those first steps.

What can you do with a 2WD 4Runner? Pack up that spacious back with whatever you want to bring with you and travel almost road you desire. You don't need to crawl over rocks twice the size of your tires to see Canyonlands. Most of the area is accessible with a 2WD, high clearance vehicle. You might have to plan around weather or certain trails, but you've got to plan around something anyway, it might as well be Nature.

Reactions: Lindenwood and EJR

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

4WD was a rare option when I grew up. Everything was RWD. Only real advantage to 4WD is being able to go slower, with speed and momentum 2WD will go almost everywhere 4WD does.

I assume you have some kind of traction control?

Reactions: OtherOrb and EJR

EJR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sugar Land, TX, USA
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

4WD was a rare option when I grew up. Everything was RWD. Only real advantage to 4WD is being able to go slower, with speed and momentum 2WD will go almost everywhere 4WD does.

I assume you have some kind of traction control?
I don't think or I don't know

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I had a RWD 2006 Nissan Xterra for many years. That monster kicked some off road a$$. I went on plenty of wheeling trips with 4x4’s. Only issue I ever really had was snow!

Reactions: EJR

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I don't think or I don't know
go to a Toyota forum, there is likely a place to put in your serial number and get the factory build sheet for your Four Runner.
some kind of limited slip is the best option for 2WD.
but you can do most anything.

Heres a Crown Vic having fun.

Reactions: EJR

EJR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sugar Land, TX, USA
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

go to a Toyota forum, there is likely a place to put in your serial number and get the factory build sheet for your Four Runner.
some kind of limited slip is the best option for 2WD.
but you can do most anything.

Heres a Crown Vic having fun.
thanks for the information, it makes me much better.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

I owned a 2006 2wd 4Runner for 5 years, let me tell you...it will go farther then you are probably willing to push it. hit the trails and don't worry!!

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

Off road magazine did a what is the difference between a 2wd and a 4wd and it turned out to be a 1/4 mile. The 4wd went a 1/4 mile farther up the mountain before it was stuck.

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
You should be good for most backroads etc. Just play it smart and pay attention to weather etc. My wife has a 2018 4Runner that's 2wd and we've had no issues however we do mainly use our Jeep Wrangler.