Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Thought the solar setup actually deserved it's own post so it's split out here. We've got a 100W flexible panel mounted on the galley hatch, a 120W portable panel that we can toss on the tongue box, and 2-100W panels that can be set up to 30ft away to be sure they are in the sun. As I mentioned in the previous post, VHB is unforgiving. It's a little crooked but not too bad, and nobody will notice on the highway. The wiring has been cleaned up quite a when it finally got connected.
64203215778__5DDC01EE-6A4B-4669-A299-C17ECF38F94D.fullsizerender.JPG

The core of the power system is a DIY lithium iron phosphate battery pack (testing out at about 260AH). The process of building this thing was really simple, the hassle of importing cells and BMS from China less easy. Ended up with two of the cells being slightly damaged - thus the 260AH instead of the target 280AH. The shore power connects to a Victron charger and two 120v outlets - one in the galley and one in the cabin. We're not planning to run an inverter, but do carry a Bluetti pack that has an inverter in it if we really need one when boon docking. The solar panels connect to dual Epever charge controllers through a cutoff switch for each controller. The trailer panel and a split in parallel to the portable panel that sits on the tongue box connect to a 20amp controller. The side solar input connects to a 40amp controller for the two remote panels in series. This controller could support two more pairs of panels in parallel with the first providing up to 800 watts. The sizing of the system with the current panels should allow us to have power indefinitely if we get a solid day of sun every three days.

IMG_9074.JPG

Reactions: grubworm

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Took the trailer out a few weekends ago on a shakedown run and overall it went really well. We decided for the first trip to go with a state park campground and have a bit of a safety net for the first trip. Got to get everything setup outside, spend a night in the trailer, see how it tows on pavement (amazingly well). A few things we learned, the awning and side room are great, but not being able to stake it down and guy it out with the concrete campground was a problem. This thing does amazingly well in the rain and even packing down in a storm was easy. Having a galley ready to go makes cooking great. For our second trip we're going to go a bit more off the grid into the Mark Twain National Forest. We'll also be dragging along all four solar panels to do a test of the larger system.

The trailer ran completely off battery from Friday through Sunday evening with almost no ability to charge from the solar panel. Battery monitor went from 260ah to 230ah over that time period. We weren't doing anything substantial other than running the fridge and lights, there wasn't much need for the fan other than keeping humidity down in the cabin.

Prepping lunch in the campground.
181917361_10158340923639397_624059197990488790_n.jpg

Reactions: grubworm

Polarfire

Rank I

Contributor I

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
C
Member #

I just stopped by and talked to Jeff yesterday. I think something like this will really fit my needs well! I was looking at Escapod Topo teardrops and they look great but the price was holding me back. I think I can build something very similar with HYK Outdoors for a better price and be local to me! I'm going to rent one for a few nights and see how I like it to get a feel before I put down a deposit. Quality looks top-notch!

Reactions: Kerner

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

I just stopped by and talked to Jeff yesterday. I think something like this will really fit my needs well! I was looking at Escapod Topo teardrops and they look great but the price was holding me back. I think I can build something very similar with HYK Outdoors for a better price and be local to me! I'm going to rent one for a few nights and see how I like it to get a feel before I put down a deposit. Quality looks top-notch!
I looked at a bunch of trailers and Hyk stands up with any of them that are wood construction. He’s super easy to work with and you’ll have a lot of fun planning out your build.

Reactions: Polarfire

Kerner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kerner
Member #

Run number two to Paddy Creek Wilderness. Still a campground but more dispersed and down a forest service road.

Deployed the full solar setup and can power the fridge, fan, and charge at nearly 20amps. The two panels on the trailer handles the fridge and charges at 10amps.

media.jpg

Last edited: