Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

While some in the impact zone for Ida won’t be able to reply soon, I’d be curious if people actually considered how their vehicle may have to become a “lifeboat” during an emergency. Did you design your vehicle to be an emergency home away from home or just a weekend toy?

If you are impacted by ida or any other widespread emergency (Caldor Fire, TN flooding, etc) what did you learn about your rig and how it needed to be refined to support that type of use?

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I live in a hurricane-prone area. I absolutely consider my XJ to be an important part of being prepared for a storm. Since it's not my daily, it pretty much stays loaded. Dealing with an emergency is as simple as making sure it's full of fuel. If we were to evacuate, it is the vehicle we would take.

I also consider my RV to be an emergency vehicle. It works as an emergency shelter if it survives and the house is too damaged to be habitable. It carries 75 gallons of fuel and water, 12 gallons of propane, and has an onboard generator. I top off the tanks as part of my storm prep.

So far I haven't needed any of it. I hope it stays that way.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

While some in the impact zone for Ida won’t be able to reply soon, I’d be curious if people actually considered how their vehicle may have to become a “lifeboat” during an emergency. Did you design your vehicle to be an emergency home away from home or just a weekend toy?

If you are impacted by ida or any other widespread emergency (Caldor Fire, TN flooding, etc) what did you learn about your rig and how it needed to be refined to support that type of use?
I'm in the process of putting mine together (new guy here) and with things the way they are now and seemingly getting worse, setting it up as a get outa town quick UEV or lifeboat has certainly been on my mind.
Would you have done anything different on your rig when you think about depending on it that way? Seems to me the two are very closely related and almost interchangeable

Reactions: Frdmskr