Hurricane florence relief

• HTML tutorial

ptribble

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yorktown, Virginia
Member #

Anyone want to get together to form a hurricane relief/rescue team. I'm just trying to get an idea of who would be interested/available and when would be the best date to do this. I'm thinking about leaving Friday afternoon. I'm new to the whole hurricane relief and volunteering so I was just hoping to get some help from someone more experienced in the planning process. Thanks in advance for any help.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I’d be curious to learn a bit more on this, and possibly even able to head south for at least the weekend.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I think your heart is in the right place, but I would suggest touching bases with a larger organization and working with them instead. This site has a very short summary of why: https://www.nvoad.org/howtohelp/volunteer-3/ in the 'Do Not Self Deploy' section. By Friday (I'm guessing you mean today), Florence will still be active and going out to assist may cause more harm than good, especially if you find yourself caught up in a mess yourself and thus require aid.

If you are interested in organizing a group from OverlandBound to participate in volunteer work with an active organization such as the Red Cross or VOAD, then count me in!