Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Howdy folks, new member from Alberta, Canada.

I've been poking through the various blog posts and thought it was time to formally join. I've seen some great information on here.

I used to do lots of (pre-marriage/pre-kid) camping, and we did the fancy 25' trailer thing several years ago but I hated the campground life where your neighbour's sewer hose is next to your picnic table, and you're basically living in a big RV parking lot. Sold the trailer but I've been getting that "itch" to get back to the outdoors.

I have an old YJ with a whack of mods that has satisfied the "get out of town and play for a few hours" urge, but it's not big enough to take the family, two dogs and camping gear. Soooo, just picked up an '08 Liberty and hope to be heading out for some trips later this year.

Location-wise, Alberta can be an interesting place to live and travel. We have some breathtakingly beautiful scenery, whether it's golden prairies, rolling foothills or the Rockies. It can also drop down to -40C (-40F) in the winter and hit +40C (105F) in the summer. The weather can also change radically within a day; it's not uncommon to see temperature variations of of 30 degrees from day-to-day (or within the same day).

Anyway, glad to finally be a member and look forward to some good conversations!

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Soooo. What are you doing good to do with the old YJ? :-)
That's a good question, and I really can't decide! Part of me wants to keep it but the other part of me keeps saying, "think of all the goodies you could buy if you sold it" so.... Not sure yet. :) I know there are a lot of YJ guys in your neck of the woods. Just looking at your signature -- a nice new KTM or Africa Twin would also look good in the garage if I sold the YJ. Decisions, decisions....

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

So many toys so little time. I'm debating getting a jeep to add to the stable, but we'll see how that works out.

Any favourite areas around Calgary that you like to explore?

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
I think everywhere around Calgary, in all directions, really. Anything in the Priddis area or Water Valley area is beautiful. Drumheller area has some very interesting scenery, just because it's so different than all the greenery everywhere else. And, of course - dinosaurs. :) It also has lots of good hiking trails. K-Country, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper areas, obviously.

A couple of trails I haven't taken yet, but would love to, include the Forestry Trunk Road and The Gap road (Alberta/Sask Cypress Hills Park area.)

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Also from Calgary! Pretty soon there will be enough of us for a meetup.

I hear you on needing a vehicle that can hold the family. Currently I drive an XJ and I'll keep it for hard-core trails and to tinker on, but I see a Jeep Commander in my future for exploring with my wife and three young kids.

Reactions: JeepersForVets

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Also from Calgary! Pretty soon there will be enough of us for a meetup.

I hear you on needing a vehicle that can hold the family. Currently I drive an XJ and I'll keep it for hard-core trails and to tinker on, but I see a Jeep Commander in my future for exploring with my wife and three young kids.
A Calgary meetup would be great, and I think I've seen your XJ around town!

Reactions: grover

PDS_03

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello Alberta Crew! I just joined today and have some if the same issues. Need room to take the family and the dog and the mountain bikes but not go to another RV parking lot!! Currently running a 2012 Tacoma TRD sport with new FOX 2.5 suspension overhaul on order. Very excited to get that on the truck and see what kind of improvements it makes. We tow an old Boler around which is about to get a small lift as well. Now, to find good places to get out and explore! :-) Open to any suggestions...
Cheers,
Paul

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Hello Alberta Crew! I just joined today and have some if the same issues. Need room to take the family and the dog and the mountain bikes but not go to another RV parking lot!! Currently running a 2012 Tacoma TRD sport with new FOX 2.5 suspension overhaul on order. Very excited to get that on the truck and see what kind of improvements it makes. We tow an old Boler around which is about to get a small lift as well. Now, to find good places to get out and explore! :-) Open to any suggestions...
Cheers,
Paul
Howdy, Paul - I think there should be a special badge on here for Boler owners because of the cool factor! :)

Are you looking for exploring ideas in the Oilers end or the Flames end of AB? We're in the Flames end and generally swing between some areas in BC and in Saskatchewan.

Steve

PDS_03

Rank 0

Traveler I

Howdy, Paul - I think there should be a special badge on here for Boler owners because of the cool factor! :)

Are you looking for exploring ideas in the Oilers end or the Flames end of AB? We're in the Flames end and generally swing between some areas in BC and in Saskatchewan.

Steve
Haha! Thanks Steve. Our Boler had a pretty wild paint job when we bought it and it sure does stand out in the RV lot! We're down at the Flames end as well but are open to anywhere that is fun to get to and beautiful to be in. We go to Dinosaur Provincial park and Cypress hills areas a lot. Also enjoy going through BC and staying at Forest Rec sites. Always beautiful and usually have a great location.
Will post pics when both Tacoma and Boler are done with the suspension rebuilds. :-)

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
Haha! Thanks Steve. Our Boler had a pretty wild paint job when we bought it and it sure does stand out in the RV lot! We're down at the Flames end as well but are open to anywhere that is fun to get to and beautiful to be in. We go to Dinosaur Provincial park and Cypress hills areas a lot. Also enjoy going through BC and staying at Forest Rec sites. Always beautiful and usually have a great location.
Will post pics when both Tacoma and Boler are done with the suspension rebuilds. :-)
The Cypress Hills area is beautiful (I like the SK side more than the AB side...)

Have you taken the Reesor to Battle Creek to Gap Road route up to the Centre Block area of Cypress Hills? I think you access it from Medicine Hat. That's on my to-do list this year, and it looks like a great drive. Mostly dirt road but nothing crazy.