Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

I just mounted up my new slimline bumper and winch and I'm trying to figure out the propper/safe way to wire the winch up. I know I can just attach the cables to the positive and negative posts on the battery, but I'm seeing a lot about isolators, fuses, disconnects, dual batteries, etc.

I have a 2019 4runner, with stock battery. No dual battery, or plans to get one. I'm running a warn evo 10s winch.

Do I need an isolator or fuse or something? Can I just leave either the positive or negative disconnected until I go on a trip and might need it? All the official instructions I've found are notably vague about the whole process.

Thanks!

-Chris

60005604292__BBBA90EB-D72C-4F3B-84BE-42827FD6617C.JPG

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep, wire it straight up. No fuse.

I've always just disconnected the positive on mine, carefully.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have mine wired straight to the battery, I never disconnect it. I do keep a cable cutter in the driver's door pocket in case something goes wonky, then I can simply cut the power cable.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I wouldnt stress too much about wiring it straight to the battery, especially since this will provide the best performance. However, first, make sure you at least wrap the wires in a couple layers of electrical tape to helo prevent rubbing through and shorting out. Secondly, though, leaving the positive disconnected is also among the safest options, as is wiring in a heavy-duty manual switch to the positive side near the terminal.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I am planning my winch install on my 2014 4runner and I bought a Blue Sea e-series shutoff switch for power lead.

Reactions: TexasGMG

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
When I wired up my winch I did a switch in the cab that ran a 250amp relay to disconnect the power from the winch, then ran a 250amp maxi fuse to protect from shorts during use. Having watched a truck burn down on the trail due to a shorted out winch motor Im a big fan of fusing the winch.
To add: There were a lot of other failures that lead to this; continued overload of winch, not paying attention to warning signs of shorts, not having a fire extinguisher. But I still encourage the use of at least a large high current fuse, just in case you are in a position where you need to focus on the recovery and not on the subtleties of potential issues with the winch, wiring, and vehicle battery.

Reactions: M Rose

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

you could also get something like the warn battery disconnect:

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

I put one of these warn power interrupt kits in and wired the switch to my apollointech switches. The winch will only have power when I flip the switch. I never like having that big of a wire always hot when not in use. With me being a volunteer firefighter and a career in auto body, I've seen my far share of fires caused my a shorted wire.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ok, here are three things I have always used when wiring up my winches. I use Heavy rubber hose anywhere there is even the slightest chance of rubbing the wire. I cut the hose to length, slice it, wrap it around the wire and fasten it with tie straps. I use the slotted plastic stuff on all wire runs. I use the breakers as well. In fact any aftermarket wiring on my cruiser is wrapped the same way. I may be a bit anal about it, however, since I started doing this I’ve never had any wiring wear through and short out. 261656D7-3439-418F-962B-594A8AEA8C9E.jpeg2B6E7DA0-1D1C-410B-BAD1-AB6DE45C0861.jpegEA6EC0B8-F036-4815-A47A-1AEEF18C20B2.jpeg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I put one of these warn power interrupt kits in and wired the switch to my apollointech switches. The winch will only have power when I flip the switch. I never like having that big of a wire always hot when not in use. With me being a volunteer firefighter and a career in auto body, I've seen my far share of fires caused my a shorted wire.
Thats the same way I relayed I my old winch. But $85!? You can literally make that exact set up for $50-$60 in parts from a Napa. Or if youre willing to go wrecking yard hopping for parts (like I did) you can make a set up identical to that for $10.

OVRLNDER

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Thats the same way I relayed I my old winch. But $85!? You can literally make that exact set up for $50-$60 in parts from a Napa. Or if youre willing to go wrecking yard hopping for parts (like I did) you can make a set up identical to that for $10.
When I bought it, the price was $50, so I went with it. I didn't even realize the price jumped up.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
When I bought it, the price was $50, so I went with it. I didn't even realize the price jumped up.
How long ago was That? I bet the price jump is in keeping with the cost of things currently. Had I bought all the parts new when I built my set up about 12 years ago it would have cost around 30 or 40. I figure at current prices you can piece that kit together for 50 or 60.

OVRLNDER

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

How long ago was That? I bet the price jump is in keeping with the cost of things currently. Had I bought all the parts new when I built my set up about 12 years ago it would have cost around 30 or 40. I figure at current prices you can piece that kit together for 50 or 60.
Just about 2 years ago.

Reactions: Dilldog

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
What size fuse do you run with a 10k lb winch?