How to use Zip files in iOS to import GPX tracks into your favorite navigation app.

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
That's a mouthful of a title. More and more there are folks with no computer and only an iPad or Android tablet. This article discusses how to use/open zip files from sites which offer free GPX tracks. Because iOS does not have a traditional file management system it can be tricky. This article demystify's the process. Once you do it a few times it is easy.

I am linking to the article so there is one source which can be kept up-to-date. If the Overland Bound team would like to post the original within the forums or outside let me know.

I have years of experience using Gaia GPS. It is the sample app in the tutorial but others can be used. I also own Hema Maps, Motion-X GPS, Pocket Earth and a few others. I am other a supporter of quality applications so I own the "Pro" versions of WinZip and iZip which are referenced in the article. The free versions do work as well and the process is the same.

Enjoy,
Chris

http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/open-zip-files-ipad-iphone/

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Great article! I've never really tried to import to BackCountry Navigator Pro but then, that was because I didn't know how. Think I'll search out some routes tonight.

Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Great article! I've never really tried to import to BackCountry Navigator Pro but then, that was because I didn't know how. Think I'll search out some routes tonight.

Thanks!
Pretty sure BCN is Android only. There is a version of WinZip for Android and unlike iOS you do have a file folder for downloads in Android. Download the file, open WinZip and then find your download folder. You should then be able to see the zip file. Open it and select which file you want to import. Select Open In and pick your app. I have a very old Nexus 7 so it is a bit difficult for me to test Android setups. Only the Orux Maps app appeared as an option for me even though I have Gaia installed on my Android tablet. Good luck with your imports.

I also use an app called ES File Explorer for Android to view files on the device. If you use WinZip to extract the file(s) and then use ES File Explorer to view the file(s) you might have more choices when you say Open In. On my device Open In in WinZip did not show Gaia but in ES File Explorer it did. Your mileage may vary...

ES File Explorer Info - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Last edited: