Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to lock your rooftop tent to your truck or rack system using something other than your standard nut and bolt? My fear is that on longer road trips when I choose to stay in a motel before moving on to another trail, that someone will come in the night and simply unbolt my tent from my racks. Even if I used a security bolt system they could cut the bolts off pretty easily with some bolt cutters. I found a company that makes nut and bolt shrouds to prevent cutting and security nuts with beveled edges that require a specific rare socket to unbolt. Unfortunately, I have yakima racks and they don't make them for my racks.
Here is what this looks like: RTT Security Mounts

Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated. I have also considered locking straps to wrap around my tent and to my locked yakima racks but those could still be cut. If oyu know of any other companies making a product similar to this please let me know!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to lock your rooftop tent to your truck or rack system using something other than your standard nut and bolt? My fear is that on longer road trips when I choose to stay in a motel before moving on to another trail, that someone will come in the night and simply unbolt my tent from my racks. Even if I used a security bolt system they could cut the bolts off pretty easily with some bolt cutters. I found a company that makes nut and bolt shrouds to prevent cutting and security nuts with beveled edges that require a specific rare socket to unbolt. Unfortunately, I have yakima racks and they don't make them for my racks.
Here is what this looks like: RTT Security Mounts

Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated. I have also considered locking straps to wrap around my tent and to my locked yakima racks but those could still be cut. If oyu know of any other companies making a product similar to this please let me know!
There are specialty screw heads that are used when installing stuff that businesses don't vandalized. (I purchase mine from hardware) They take a specific tool to hold while loosening up the fasteners. I use them for my license plate (thieves will steal and slap your plate on thier vehicle while on crime sprees) while they won't prevent it from being stolen by someone who is prepared and determined. It will deter the opportunist. They look like a screw head that tightens one way and is ground down to prevent some one to use the screw driver to loosen it. They make a nut driver that fits it perfectly to hold it to loosen. Of course a pair of channel locks may hold it. But like I said one must be prepared to steal.

It sucks we live in a world where we even have to have this discussion!

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

got the same, some anti theft M10 nuts . You put it after the original nut, like this you can tight them stronger, since the torque to keep the tent on without damage to the rails is very weak .

Reactions: adv_ranger

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I've used SportRack locking knobs on several things. They're often used for bike racks but they are pretty universal. Basically drill a 3/8" or slightly larger hole through one piece of metal and tap a 3/8" threaded hole through the metal behind it. In the lock position the knob will simply spin. When unlocked you can unthread it just like a bolt. You can cut the length of the threaded rod to suit your needs.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Rack to truck
Tent to Rack using the standard bolts through the rack

Not these exact parts but tri-groove fasteners worked for a Tepui on top of a bed rack where I could run the bolts through the rack rails instead of using the brackets. A little red loctite meant there was about a zero possibility of someone removing the fasteners without heat.

Odds are you will have limited luck finding something specifically for your rack so you'll likely need to find what size you need and buy the appropriate fasteners.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

There are hundreds of security bolts, nuts, screws to replace the factory bolts with.
They all assume the thief does not have the adapter.

Amazon ot your local Fasteners Shop should have something affordable.
61SmkRqDRPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

I use the Wheel Every Weekend security mounts with Yakima JetStream bars. I think those may be the mounts you referred to.

True, they don’t have a Yakima-specific fit but I found that the Thule aero bar version tighten around the Yakima bars well enough to be more solid than the stock mounts.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Also, simply adding more fasteners and or adding ones with different head styles or sizes (or metric and SAE) will slow down the "honest" thieves to where they leave it alone. having to undo 12 fasteners instead of 4 might cause a crook to decide it's not worth it.

Contributor II

Grand Rapids, MI, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Yorke
Has anyone bought a set of these keyed roof top tent mounts? I saw them on YouTube and like them better than security nuts

Attachments

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Has anyone bought a set of these keyed roof top tent mounts? I saw them on YouTube and like them better than security nuts

That is brilliant. I used security nuts and the front runner QD mounts with pad locks when I had my RRT. These look better and simpler to use.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

This is a bit of an unfounded concern. These things are slow to remove, heavy enough to require 2+ people to carry, large to try to escape with, and have a very limited market in the grand scheme of things. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying that breaking out a window and stealing gear from inside would be quicker, easier money.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
From my experience with roof tents and the feedback of countless customers, protection is only of limited use. I will try to explain why. Most holders consist of two plates and two screws. Protecting only the nuts makes no sense because thieves are more likely to use bolt cutters, which are much more effective. If the roof tent is only mounted on the roof rack, an even quicker way is to simply break open the rack base and steal the roof tent including the rack. Four little holes that's you done. If the roof tent is mounted on a platform, the most sensible way to lock the screws is to set a welding point as @NotGumby mentioned.

The fear that the roof tent can be stolen is totally understandable but very very unrealistic. Depending on the vehicle, it is more likely that the entire vehicle will be stolen.

Reactions: NotGumby

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Soo if you use a lock make sure to secured the vertical screws too. Something like that one here:

Attachments

Reactions: NotGumby

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yea, I must be living on a different planet for the past 69 years. Only once have I ever been ripped off and that was way back in 1980. Some pro’s were running the alleys in Anaheim with bolt cutters and a van. Got all my old used tools and everyone else’s. Tools are easy to steal and easy to fence. The insurance paid for a really nice set of tools that I have to this day. My RTT weighs 160 lbs +/-. It would take, at the minimum, three people to get it down off the trailer. Then, what would they do with it? Who would fence such a cumbersome item? So no, I’m not concerned in the least about professional thieves taking a RTT. Imagine, if you can, going into a pawn shop that has a RTT on full display. Ya, right! Then there is meth. Imagine the scene, three meth heads trying to steal it, wait, meth heads are skinny & weak. Imagine organizing 4 meth heads to accomplish a common goal. Enough! frankly I’m more concerned with professionals stealing my 80 series and that’s highly unlikely..