How To Identify Hoat / Oat Coolant.

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

My wife's 2015 Patriot SHOULD be OAT. However, it's hit a few deer and spent some time in the body shop a few years ago, so I want to be sure. I checked the coolant around Thanksgiving and it tested good for the winter, but I might want to change it this summer.

Is there a test strip or chemical test to make sure it has Organic Additive Technology rather than a Hybrid? You can't really go by color because there are so many brands.

Never the two shall meet.....

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd drain it all and flush with water, then switch to plain old green 50/50 premix.

We've gone through thousands of gallons of the best coolants out there, and none worked as well as the green premix when changed every 3 years. Some coolants ate stuff, some coolants clogged stuff. Green only sucks when it gets old.

We're currently switching to synthetic purple stuff. I'll bet that I'll make a extra $60,000 in the three years after the switch fixing whatever problems it brings.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What i found was most companies don't put that on the label. I stay with major manufactures and look it up before I go buy. I also change my coolant every year (overkill). What I did find was in looking up oat vs hoat, one was compatible with all aluminum's and one wasn't. I'm at work and don't remember the specs.
I also made a "flushing" hose with clear tubing, a few adapters, plastic ball valve and an inline water filter for filling a camper. The filter takes out all the chemicals and minerals. I just need to add coolant after cleaning.

OH forgot....I have test strips but they detect acid content (PH balance). Haven't seen ones that do anything different.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

If Hoat and Oat gels when mixed, I 'm just going to buy a gallon of Oat , suck some of the fluid out, and mix it in a water glass/quart jar. Then stir. Then watch it for a few days.

I may do several of these experiments just to see how this stuff reacts.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

The glass jar trick won't work. It needs to be heat cycled, and even then it takes weeks to gel. I have never seen a dip test to differentiate between anti-corrosion additives.

A body shop worth their snuff would have used Mopar coolant during repairs.

One way to check is to pull a sample. The OAT stuff is purple when new, and turns to almost an orangish-red color when used. (But it still isn't the bright orange color of the HOAT stuff).

If you are still questioning it i would do a full system flush.

Reactions: smritte