Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I have a friend who was wondering what tools he would need in order to pave some trails on his land. His land is primary consumed of dense forrest in NC.

I recommended:

• Gas chain saw with sharp chain
• Bow Saw / hand saw
• Long shears
• Heavy Axe
• Tough woodsman line (for hauling or pulling)
• Small trailer (for the fallen debris)
• Metal shovel
• Metal Rake
• Tape Measure (For width between trees)
• Hand crank winch & line

Would there be any thing else I could add to the list to help him out?

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Hopefully, he has done a thorough inspection of the land and has laid out a good plan for where he wants to build the trail and why.

Perhaps a satellite view of the land could be of use to him and his planning.

Reactions: Nickzero

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

You sometimes have to be careful with creating Trails even on your own land depending on where you live and what their rules with water runoff and everything else is. Making large motor vehicle use Trails can kind of get you in trouble depending on the rules and regulations for land use.
Just tell him to pick up $1,000 beater truck throw some decent tires on it and just Ram it through the trees and stuff until the trail is made.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Hopefully, he has done a thorough inspection of the land and has laid out a good plan for where he wants to build the trail and why.

Perhaps a satellite view of the land could be of use to him and his planning.
He has a reputation for laying out a decent trail. I used to help lay out the trails back when I used to live up there in NC. These trails wouldn't negatively impact the environment or 'runoff' effects. You know how NC is considering you have visited before.

Reactions: Welding Goats

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If its hilly, water management is a must. Some of the trails utilize heavy rubber strips to redirect water. . Picture 8" wide, 10' long 3/8 thick. Bury it about half way and you can drive over it. The easy way to do that is building berms but they wear down over time. Reinforcing road bed on hill sides, we use Gabion Baskets. Most of the trail work I've done, you couldn't get a tractor into. All had to be done by hand.
In California, they don't want us driving through water. We have to harden the stream beds or bridge over. The issue is the silt runoff in the streams. Its so bad now that in one spot we have a small spring that's more of a seep. Even though it didn't flow to the creek we had to bridge it.

Building trails is a ton of work but, I think its worth it.

Scott

Last edited: