How to attach strap or chain to these Chevy front recovery hooks?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
The few times I needed to use the recovery hooks on my older Silverado were for some basic pulls and I just lowered the strap handle over the hook. But my new 2019 Silverado has these closed hooks and I'm not sure how to utilize them. I have both tow straps (2) and tow chains (2). Should I slip the tow strap loop end around and pull through the other loop end for this?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Soft shackles have gotten very affordable and they are quick and easy to use, I have those same hooks on my ZR2 and have used both soft and steel shackles. Haven't used steel since I bought the soft ones.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I thought of a shackle (steel one) and have a couple, but figured they could roll or otherwise be in an unknown orientation as the load takes. Any suggestions for a soft shackle?

Reactions: MidOH

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The other advantage of soft shackles is they don't chip up the paint on pretty tow hooks. :)

You can get quality "Made in the US" soft shackles from Bubba Rope (gator jaws) and SpliceWorks.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I thought of a shackle (steel one) and have a couple, but figured they could roll or otherwise be in an unknown orientation as the load takes. Any suggestions for a soft shackle?
Soft shackles can do some weird stuff just as much. Don't sweat it either way.