How much stress is too much stress for CV joints?

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Hi all. Thinking of adding 1-2inches of lift on my Jeep Renegade. I was curious to know how much of an angle is to much for the CV joints.

I see some subies run 2-4 inches of lift with larger tires and think "wow that must be a lot of stress on the suspension. I am pretty new to lifting independent suspension compared to solid axles.

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'm not sure what is available in Jeep land, and I'm a mechanical idiot so I don't know if these things are universal or anything, but Toyota's and I'm sure other IFS 4x4's have differential drop kits available. They run about $30 bucks, consist of longer bolts and spacers, and return the diff back to it's original position so your CVs stay happy. I'm guessing that if something like that isn't available for the Renegade yet, it soon will be.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Depending on how much lift you are doing, I know Independant4x makes and sells ball joint spacers that raise the lower ball joint to decrease the angle the cv axle hits the hub. I'm not sure if that is specific to vehicles with torsion bar suspension or not. But It makes the angle a little less steep and relieves a little stress on the joint.

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Thanks guys! It seems some of the kits I am looking at do drop the diff a bit to decrease the stress on the joints.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The axle drop is not expensive, either. They drop it 1" to help with the angles and that is helpful until you are over 4" in lift. On the Toyota's it is just $40 to drop it down. Basically, 2 each 1" spacers made out of Alum and 2 each long bolts to replace the stock shorter ones.