How much fuel capacity is really necessary?

• HTML tutorial

Cory1139

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

I starting to build my new rig and can't decide how much fuel capacity I really need. I have 6 Jerry cans, 2 of which are for fuel and the other 4 are for water...im looking at one rear cargo rack that holds 2, 2 gallon rotopax containers or a rear bumper/carrier that will carry 2, 5 gallon Jerry cans. The Jerry can route is much more expensive but i feel it's the better option. I also feel like I just want the bumper and carrier...lol...any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

HankinWI

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Hank
Last Name
Brinlee
Member #

Personally, I've looked at this...

I keep asking myself..."Self...do you REALLY need this?" Thus far the answer has been a resounding "NO!".

For me, I think an extra five gallons would suffice in the real world. Best of luck on the build! :grinning:

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I starting to build my new rig and can't decide how much fuel capacity I really need. I have 6 Jerry cans, 2 of which are for fuel and the other 4 are for water...im looking at one rear cargo rack that holds 2, 2 gallon rotopax containers or a rear bumper/carrier that will carry 2, 5 gallon Jerry cans. The Jerry can route is much more expensive but i feel it's the better option. I also feel like I just want the bumper and carrier...lol...any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app
The question is, how far out do you go? In my fantasy life, I'm hundreds of miles from nowhere... in reality, living on the east coast, I'm never too far from fuel. If you take longer trips, or travel out west 5 to 10 gallons are probably all you'll need. But that will depend on the conditions of the road, and the economy of your vehicle.

Reactions: HankinWI

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

10 Gallons or two 5 gallon Jerry Cans will keep your mind at ease. Keep the 6 for when you want to bug out and go a really long distance without stopping.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

My furthest "expedition" travels in the FJ(19 Gal tank), fully loaded, roof rack full, up into Northern Quebec, Labrador and Newfoundland on the Trans Labrador Highway, I needed to use my single Scepter jerry can twice between long stretches of emptiness, I never went lower than 1/4 tank. There are a couple places in the far north you might need more, or if you planned on doing a lot of side road exploring.

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I carry a 3.5gal fuelpax everyday, it's an hour to the closest fuel. But if im going in the backwoods I take 10. Around my part of Idaho you can spend 8 hrs going less than 50miles, then if you're in 4high or low, that'll suck the gas right up.

And more often than not when my cans get open, it's for someone who greatly underestimated how long it takes to get anywhere on these trails.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Depends on your rig. I carry one 20L can on any off road trip. With that said, even on a trip to Moab and wheeling for 5-7 hours, I would still only use about 1/4 tank at most, but, still liked having the extra fuel.

in my truck, 20L = 5.28 gallons. I get 15MPG so that can gets me an extra 79 miles further.

With that said... I never count my extra fuel on road trips when determining if I will stop. A half tank is a half tank, not 1/2 + 20L....

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Dude what are you driving? If it's a TJ or LJ buy a gas station!
At 14mpg in my Jeep I carry 2 20litre jerry cans. Our last 3 week trip to BC and back to Ontario with a total of 112345km traveled we used our gas cans 4 times. Each time I used one can only. But I drive a dumpster on wheels.
I had enough gas carrying 2 cans. I could have gotten away with one

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: aearles