How Many Members?

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I had not realized it was up that high until I met another forum member (entirely by chance) at Teakettle Junction a few weeks ago. He went to look at my member number and was surprised it was "so low". I didn't think 1028 was a low badge number at all, but apparently these days it is.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I had not realized it was up that high until I met another forum member (entirely by chance) at Teakettle Junction a few weeks ago. He went to look at my member number and was surprised it was "so low". I didn't think 1028 was a low badge number at all, but apparently these days it is.
And when I first got mine (1184) I thought it was SO high!

What's depressing was when I first learned about the member badges and started thinking about joining they were below 900! I honestly think they weren't even at 800 yet. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Mine isn't attached yet though - Grover is still undergoing refurbishment. Once done I'm going to need to have a custom grill badge made for it so it can be mounted with the rest.

I have a couple or so more that are packed away and didn't make it into this pic; but notice which one is in the center.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

OB #12341 here hello guys
It doesn't matter how high the number is, that's the beauty of this site. The insight offered by number 0000 is no better or worse than the insight offered by 12341+ or any other user. Every rig, every trail, and every trip is unique in its own way.

I just felt the need to say that. I've been seeing a lot of hate towards Overland Bound recently - enough to make me purge out some accounts I had followed on Instagram. There is enough tribalism out there already, I'm glad to be a part of a community that hasn't fallen into that trap.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

It doesn't matter how high the number is, that's the beauty of this site. The insight offered by number 0000 is no better or worse than the insight offered by 12341+ or any other user. Every rig, every trail, and every trip is unique in its own way.

I just felt the need to say that. I've been seeing a lot of hate towards Overland Bound recently - enough to make me purge out some accounts I had followed on Instagram. There is enough tribalism out there already, I'm glad to be a part of a community that hasn't fallen into that trap.
Uh....don't know where this came from. Not sure how it can be construed as some sort of tribalism or hate.

It's like "WooHoo - look how far the membership has come!"

If a person wishing they had gotten a lower number by joining up sooner is somehow wrong.... guess that's just someone's take on it.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I remember when there was a spreadsheet and you could pick your number. I regret not signing up then. Haha.

Reactions: Correus

Kris Luna

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

South Pasadena,California
Member #

Thanks treXterra you are right it doesn’t matter how high the number is i was stoked to get this number as it was the last 4 of my very first phone number I ever had at home with mom (1234) so love your number and the family we are part of
Have a great day everyone
Happy Trails

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Uh....don't know where this came from. Not sure how it can be construed as some sort of tribalism or hate.

It's like "WooHoo - look how far the membership has come!"

If a person wishing they had gotten a lower number by joining up sooner is somehow wrong.... guess that's just someone's take on it.
Sorry, it wasn't the post that is hate or tribalism; more of celebrating the lack of it here and how the community has grown.

The tribalism and hate is outside of OB, I've seen a lot of stones thrown in our direction recently from various overland accounts on social media. I recently had one pop up in my feed that mocked OB members for no apparent reason. I ended up going though my list of people I follow and purging a lot of them. There seems to be a sentiment that communities like OB, Expedition Portal, or /r/overlanding need to be the gatekeepers; those who decide who gets to participate or be a part of the community. I see a lot of this around different makes and models of vehicles, but now it has spread to the idea of getting out into nature at all.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Sorry, it wasn't the post that is hate or tribalism; more of celebrating the lack of it here and how the community has grown.

The tribalism and hate is outside of OB, I've seen a lot of stones thrown in our direction recently from various overland accounts on social media. I recently had one pop up in my feed that mocked OB members for no apparent reason. I ended up going though my list of people I follow and purging a lot of them. There seems to be a sentiment that communities like OB, Expedition Portal, or /r/overlanding need to be the gatekeepers; those who decide who gets to participate or be a part of the community. I see a lot of this around different makes and models of vehicles, but now it has spread to the idea of getting out into nature at all.
No worries. This is just another reason I stay off social media - especially FB.

I can't believe the hate some people have when it comes to such things like this.

Our small town has an anual spring festival and the car show aspect and parade are becoming big deals.

Last year a local jeep club asked to participate in the car show and parade. When it was over they pitched a fit about the car show. It was decided to place all the 4x4 rigs together. One of them was a vintage IH Scout - original owner. The Scout was in excellent condition and 100% stock. It won the people's choice award and as well as another award. The jeep people threw a fit. They said that they put 10s of thousands of dollars into their rigs and all that guy did was polish his hub caps and so THEY should of won something - not him.

This year they refused to be a part of the car show but wanted to be in the parade. When it was over they bitched because they felt that THEY should of led the vehicle part of the parade, not follow the others.

I'm not aware of any of them being OB members, but if OB members act this way in public or on social media sites the hate can be understood. Let's hope it's not for this reason but out of pettiness.

Reactions: TreXTerra

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Got me wondering if my number was anything interesting, so I went to numberempire.com and sadly 13160 is a very boring number - not prime, or Fibonacci, or even perfect.