How many hour drive will you do for a weekend trip?

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Okay you decided you are going to head out Friday after work and be back Sunday afternoon/evening for work on Monday. How many hours will you drive for a weekend trip. Do you get stuck in heavy traffic heading out of town and again back home? We have done everything from camping 7 miles from home at a state park, to a six hour drive one way.

I figured there has to be a sweet spot for hours driving to night out. I guess there are variables like destination, solo or with others, weather, vehicle.

What have you found as a sweet spot?

Todd

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If the traffic is heavy, why get out of bed? We travel in the off season. We LOVE driving, hate commuting. Hate HEAT. We often head to Yoho National Park on a Tuesday, camp 1 or 2 nights. Nothing wrong with a 12 hour drive if it is relaxing. Often the goal is a cute diner in Field, BC, the Sidetrack Cafe for chile and red wine on a stormy winter day. A 4 hour drive one way. A great lunch, a great drive even or especially in a snow storm. With the best, coziest options to camp in a tiny trailer.... during a snow storm in the mountains.... with a bottle of red wine.

Best ski trip with my son was in January, after the Christmas rush, arrive at the ski hill as the lift tickets go on sale. Ski all day, drive to the winter campground, set up the tent, throw in the sleeping bags, go into town for a swim, hot tub, sauna, water slides. SHOWER !! Out for a 5 star dinner, off to a movie, desert somewhere, back to the campground. Wake up, pack up, into town for breakfast, up the hill to ski as the lifts open.

Drive home while the son sleeps. Dinner at some roadside diner. Home. 600kms, 5 hours of driving, zero traffic... one way, 10 total. Which means we left town at 5am, home at 10pm the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimInBC

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

If it's just me, my wife, and dog for a weekend I keep it between 2-3 hours, usually closer to 2 hours. If it is a bunch of us going out to a really cool spot for a weekend, then 4-5 hours is my max. Fortunately our work schedules let us get out early on Fridays so we miss a lot of traffic.

Reactions: Billiebob

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Weekend trip? About 35 gallons.

3 hours out Friday night, 3 hours back Sunday or Monday night. But I moved to where I camp. Can have my yak in the water in 30 minutes Sat morning.

There is no traffic out here, especially on dirt roads. Only if I head south and pass through columbus, do I encounter any. And I can plan that at night where the only risk is an ignorant Prius owner flipping over on a perfectly flat and straight hwy. And the FD closing four lanes to shovel off the remains.

Last edited:

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

2 hours brings me to many places that are worth spending a night or two. But I live in Idaho and there are places closer that are nearly as nice.

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
If I'm headed out with my gf and our 2 pups for a trip we try to limit the drive to about 4 hours, but by the end it will be around 5 to 6 with stops for the pups. With no pups then 7 hours with light gear tips and 5 with heavy gear trips. We account for traffic as part of the travel time. We enjoy road trips so the driving for us isn't to bad.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
5ish hours is about my max on a 3 day weekend. Probably 2-3 on a standard weekend. The drive home always seems like it takes double!