How many carry a dirtbike along with your rig?

• HTML tutorial

Lost2beFound

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Looking at getting a dirtbike to carry along with me when I go exploring. How many do the same? Which would you choose dual sport or dirtbike and how well do the hitch carriers work or are there better means to travel with it?

Reactions: BritKLR

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Drz400s.

Anything street legal and plated, will do. Hitch carriers suck. Get some nice 12' long ramps from discount ramps .com.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not a dirt bike or dual sport, but a rugged ebike that'll go anywhere I've needed in the last couple years.

Hell of a lot less expensive new, hell of a lot less noisy (so I see a LOT more wildlife), and hell of a lot easier to load/unload.

I can easily put it into the back of the van by myself without a ramp. A lot less to go wrong, too; extremely low-maintenance. Can charge it up right from my trailer's deep cycle batts and inverter.

I ride the hell out of this thing in the desert, in the snow, on the beaches, and in the woods. Great and easy city bike, too, that you can ride up over curbs into parks, lock up on a sidewalk outside a store, go a lot of places you can't with a gas bike.

I bought it mainly as backup/rescue vehicle in case my van breaks down, so I could ride out literally in a tenth of the time I could walk out. Critical in the desert. Then I realized how great a scout vehicle it is, especially when traveling solo. I pop the bike out, ride several miles ahead to see if I can make it with van and trailer. Also realized how much of a pack mule it is and have hauled groceries (I have a fold out milk-crate sized basket that fits the rear rack), loads of firewood as seen below, hauled trash, etc.

I realize the appeal of being able to tear around and go faster on a gas-fueled dirtbike, and have ridden myself in the past, though for overall adventuring, backcountry trails, and travel cross-country in general, I ride and use this way more than I would a regular dirtbike, especially 'cause it's so quiet.

Honestly one of the two best investments I've made for adventuring. The other is my trailer.

All images below are clickable to more of a description, some with more images, though not all just about the bike.

sondors-gph-800.jpg
Scouting a trail in the desert.

sondors-batbike-800.jpg .. sondorsx-silkysaw-packmule-2-800.jpg..Sondors-roomrepair.jpg
This bike goes with me everywhere, on every adventure, urban or backcountry.

packmule_9830-800.jpg
Pack Mule

sondorsx-invan-800.jpg
Easily stowed in the van. I usually loosen and turn the handlebars sideways if I'm going to leave it in there long.

Road

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I have a few bikes but the wife doesn't ride (only passenger) but shes willing to ride a small atv so I might have to get 2 of them lol

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I carry either my CRF450L dual sport or the dirt bike (a Sherco 300i) if riding the trails or track, on a hitch carrier. Works great.

Reactions: Drebin561

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Awesome thread! @Road a buddy of mine that I used to ride dirt bikes with is all into his overpowered e-bike now and that has my attention. I think you are onto something!
I used to travel a lot with an XR650L on a MotoTote trailer hitch on the back of a Tundra - worked really well but did lighten the front end of the truck significantly which could be weird in certain situations. I won't even do it on the back of the Wrangler JKU that I now drive, but am looking at trailers.

Wandered out into the sun today and that reminded me that some motors needed to be run, pulled the XR and the kart out and they both started right up. Think the kart has some old fuel and ran a little rough, that will give me something to do in the shop. Took professor doggy along for the kart ride. Yes I have taken the kart overlanding so it counts ;)

1586386472574.jpeg

1586386573769.jpeg

KHoltzen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hailey, ID, USA
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Holtzen
Member #

I have before but I ride a KLR 650 so it's a bit to big to haul that way. I have a 1000 pound carrier and it does work.

KHoltzen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hailey, ID, USA
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Holtzen
Member #

On a hitch haul...It works fine but the klr is almost to long and is pretty heavy at least for the setup I have.

Reactions: Ubiety