Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I've recently embarked on a quest to reduce the amount of weight I carry, and get my Center of Gravity as low as possible. I moved my Hi-Lift from the roof rack to the swing out...
IMG_4497.JPG
I also got rid of my large water containers, and now carry 12 of these container (filled with H2O) on the floor behind the front seats...
IMG_4556.JPG

What other suggestions do you have for reducing weight and lowering existing weight?

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Go on a diet??? :tearsofjoy: I kid, I kid! Looks like you're already putting some good thoughts into weight distribution!
  1. Water is a big one actually. I know a few guys that run around with 10-15 gallons of it, when 5 gallons and a good filter will get you just as far.
  2. Another big one is your battery. Replacing a factory battery with a more compact one (group 34, dual cycle) can save you a decent chunk of weight. If you have somewhere to put it, relocating a battery is pretty simple as well.
  3. Just like a backpack, load your heaviest items as low as possible. Lightweight, fluffy stuff goes on top.
  4. For overall weight, you can look at aluminum armor instead of steel. Usually a bit more costly, but significant weight savings. The downside, of course, is that it won't withstand quite as much abuse.
  5. Looking at your picture, I would also suggest moving your tire & fuel mounts down as low as you can without interfering with anything.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Go on a diet??? :tearsofjoy: I kid, I kid! Looks like you're already putting some good thoughts into weight distribution!
  1. Water is a big one actually. I know a few guys that run around with 10-15 gallons of it, when 5 gallons and a good filter will get you just as far.
  2. Another big one is your battery. Replacing a factory battery with a more compact one (group 34, dual cycle) can save you a decent chunk of weight. If you have somewhere to put it, relocating a battery is pretty simple as well.
  3. Just like a backpack, load your heaviest items as low as possible. Lightweight, fluffy stuff goes on top.
  4. For overall weight, you can look at aluminum armor instead of steel. Usually a bit more costly, but significant weight savings. The downside, of course, is that it won't withstand quite as much abuse.
  5. Looking at your picture, I would also suggest moving your tire & fuel mounts down as low as you can without interfering with anything.
LOL. Does this mean I have to stop working out my upper body? ;-)

Reactions: ColoradoPacific
E

expeditionnorth

I had a post on expo about the mentality of heavy bulky gear & was chastised over it
I agree lightweight is better
I carry over a lot of my light weight hiking gear into overlanding
just because I (we) have the space doesnt mean I (we) need to fill every inch of the vehicle

Reactions: Butt Hurt

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I had a post on expo about the mentality of heavy bulky gear & was chastised over it
just because I (we) have the space doesnt mean I (we) need to fill every inch of the vehicle
from my last trip I went solo to attend a group run. due to some laziness I just through all my regular camping gear in the jeep. and it was packed. Now this is stuff I bring For Me an the wife but still I was like its just me, why do I have all this stuff...Besides the being a big sissy I need to pack for solo runs and found gear that serves a multipurpose role( I have a pot a pan and pancake pan lol)

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I agree that lightweight gear is always good to have. But there are some things that should NOT be "lightweight" by any means!! Hand tools, pry bars, Hi-Lifts... I would never even consider a lightweight version of such critical items. I will take the high density, high strength of a beefy steel tool anyday, over an aluminum or magnesium replacement that may buckle or even shatter under hard use.

Lightweight comes from a combination of multi-purpose gear, minimalism, and using lightweight options in places/equipment where it won't compromise the function.

Weight saving options that some people don't think about
-Fiberglass axe/shovels instead of wood or metal
-Synthetic clothing/camping gear over organics (debatable, quality wool definitely has its place!)
-Synthetic winch line instead of steel cable (this can easily save you 20 lbs)
-Filtration vs bottled water (where feasible)
-Dry food vs canned
-Adjustible/multi-size tools instead of full sets of every size
-DON'T PACK LAST MINUTE!! You're much more likely to bring a bunch of useless junk.

Here's a good list for ultralight hiking. Understandably, we tend to carry a LOT more on our rigs. But it makes a very good point. OUNCES EQUAL POUNDS. The more little bits of weight you shave off, the better!

http://www.hikelight.com/20201ultralightbackpackingtips.html