Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So the question is kind of broad, and I know what the major answer is...YES IT IS IMPORTANT! Where I'm actually going, what about axles? Gear ratios? Transfer Case Gearing? Etc.

Obviously the tougher the terrain, the more gearing down you will want. My '62 Willys is geared to pull tree stumps out without blinking. I've got a Dana 27 front axle, Dana 53 rear; both geared to 4.88:1. I've also got a T90 transmission and Dana 18 TC. You lock it into 4 low and it will climb a mountain.

I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. Should I be thinking about higher range gearing? Or do I measure by fun per mile instead of miles per gallon?

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

So the question is kind of broad, and I know what the major answer is...YES IT IS IMPORTANT! Where I'm actually going, what about axles? Gear ratios? Transfer Case Gearing? Etc.

Obviously the tougher the terrain, the more gearing down you will want. My '62 Willys is geared to pull tree stumps out without blinking. I've got a Dana 27 front axle, Dana 53 rear; both geared to 4.88:1. I've also got a T90 transmission and Dana 18 TC. You lock it into 4 low and it will climb a mountain.

I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. Should I be thinking about higher range gearing? Or do I measure by fun per mile instead of miles per gallon?
Everyone uses their vehicle differently, and no two vehicles are the same. There are a million different answers to this question, and none of them are exclusively right or wrong. If you're commuting long distances and concerned with mileage, go with higher gearing. If you prefer spending most of your engine time crawling over Volkswagen-sized rocks, then do the other thing.

There really is no single correct answer here. My advice would be to cater to the most frequent use of the vehicle (if it's a dedicated rig) or a happy medium (if it's a multi-purpose vehicle).

Reactions: BeardedOverland

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@rking.1688 In my opinion, it's about balance! I know some FJ cruiser owners that have done a solid axle swap with lefty transfer case and gears and all kinds of long travel setups. But the end result is they find it much easier to then trailer the rig to the trail. I prefer to retain the balance between on and off road capability for our over-landing goals. I also have found with my rig that it will out drive me due to it's capability, meaning that I will stop way before the rig needs to (hopefully).
Your rig sounds very cool and good luck with your build!
And I don't think we all invested in these rigs for the mileage!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

The more I've been reading I think I am going to have to split the camper and the truck. The axles, while they are rated for the weight, the tubes and bearings are not made for the weight and off roading.

I think I really should stay with 4.27 or higher for the ratio as well. With 4.88's and 31" tires I can get to 55 at 2000 rpm and an overdrive. 4.27, if I can find the ring and pinion for them, would get me a touch higher. But I think where I'm lacking in horsepower, I can make up with it being geared low.

While I have dreams off one day driving the Alcan, I know that it isn't going to be a reality with this truck. I think I need to understand the capability and keep it in the tri-state area and off of big rocks.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm driving a '95 ZJ. I don't remember the stock tire size, but I went with 4.56 gears to compensate for my 33" tires. My speedometer is 5mph high at 65 (it reads 70), so I gained a little torque. You can change the little gear at the end of the speedo cable, if you want it to be accurate.