How do you map your travels? Share them with friends?

• HTML tutorial

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

I keep a live map that pulls from my Jeep using "Automatic" and their API. I display my routes on a map on my website. Similarly, I 'checkin' to places I like using Foursquare/Swarm and grab that data and display it on a map. I delay the map by 3-5 days to protect my privacy, but I love having it for friends and family to follow along.

I'm wondering if anyone else does anything similar for their adventures? Here's a pic of my live map!
  • How detailed do you like to keep it?
  • Is it a 'I visited this state' or 'I was on this specific trail'?
  • Do you track it by hand, or have an app to do it automatically?
  • Do you also keep track of waypoints, like 'checkins'?
  • Do you share your map / waypoints with other friends?

Reactions: 5byland

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I use Caltopo to keep a record of trails I've done, campsites, parking areas, and trails on my todo list. I don't keep much of a journal, just a few notes. I track it with an app on my phone, motion-x gps. Works fairly well.

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

I use Caltopo to keep a record of trails I've done, campsites, parking areas, and trails on my todo list. I don't keep much of a journal, just a few notes. I track it with an app on my phone, motion-x gps. Works fairly well.
I've never heard of Caltopo. Do you plan your routes before heading out, or something you do after the weekend?

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I've never heard of Caltopo. Do you plan your routes before heading out, or something you do after the weekend?
http://www.caltopo.com - Yeah, I use it for planning and notes after the trip. It's not tailor made for journaling a trip, but it's got all I need. You can upload your gpx files and share them with others.

Just saw you're in Raleigh, I'm Charlotte. PM me and I can share some of the established routes I have if you're interested. It's a small list, but I add to it whenever I speak to folks or read a trip report.

Last edited:

5byland

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for asking this question! I am in the process of designing a website/travel journal and was looking for a way to map things easily.

MapBox + Automatic looks like an easy and clean setup.

Did you do the 3-5 day delay in IFTTT?

WesAdvance

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

North America
Member #

Thanks for asking this question! I am in the process of designing a website/travel journal and was looking for a way to map things easily.

MapBox + Automatic looks like an easy and clean setup.

Did you do the 3-5 day delay in IFTTT?
I’m thinking of making the map on my website a product for Overlanders to use. Would you/anyone else be interested in a way to automatically keep track of their checkins, routes, maybe even Instagram photos on a map? Similar to YouMeAndTheJeep.com/map

The delay is done through code by filtering down on the date time field. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk