How are you hauling your Gazelle T4 tent?

• HTML tutorial

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I have been strapping it to the roof rack in the bag but I'm considering getting a hard case carrier to get it out of the weather and sun. Anyone else using one or have a recommendation?

I'm thinking something like this. It would also give me a place to store other lightweight items.

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
In the past I had a roof box like that it flexed more than I liked and sounded like a had a drum on the roof in some situations.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I bought the upgraded water resistant bag and then gave it a good waterproofing spray can treatment. Waxed the zipper as well. Should do well up on the rack. (Hasn't rained on the new bag yet)
That’s exactly how we carry ours as well

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I carry mine either in the bed or on top of the tonneau cover strapped to my bedrack. It's my secondary tent for guests so I don't often take it.

Cool Feet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Keeler
I have a 15 passenger Ford E350 van. The T4 fits neatly behind the last passenger bench seat. For longer trips, I store it in my Thule Atlantis cargo box.

Patassa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

I'm actually struggling with this as well, the orange bag that it came it got pretty destroyed by 75 mph highway speeds for 20 hrs of driving while on my LC roof rack. I'm considering getting a large diameter thin wall PVC pipe or something, mounting that to my roof rack, and sliding the tent in and out of that for protection. Right now I'm wrapping the whole bag in an extra tarp and letting that tarp get beat up, not a great solution, very time consuming when packing up.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I'm actually struggling with this as well, the orange bag that it came it got pretty destroyed by 75 mph highway speeds for 20 hrs of driving while on my LC roof rack. I'm considering getting a large diameter thin wall PVC pipe or something, mounting that to my roof rack, and sliding the tent in and out of that for protection. Right now I'm wrapping the whole bag in an extra tarp and letting that tarp get beat up, not a great solution, very time consuming when packing up.
I like the PVC idea. Think that would work well.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
You can purchase another bag from Gazelle. I believe it is much more heavy duty material they use in the replacement bag.

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Good idea. I'd be tempted to throw some fishing poles in there as well.

Reactions: Patassa

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I'm about to get an acid test of the T4+ riding on the roof rack in rain for an extended drive. I haven't done any water proofing or wax on the zipper at this point either unfortunately. I was debating on trying to cover it with a tarp before I strap it down, but that just never seems to work well.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Long bed? Or short bed? I just purchased the t4 plus overland edition. And storage is my main concern at the moment. Will definitely need to purchase a roof rack.
Long bed. I have a Sherpa Equipment Co. "Crow's Nest" full rack coming for the roof of the Leer cap I have on my Tacoma, and I will be putting a Yakima or Thule Skybox up there to put the tent up there when we travel to keep it out of the elements. For now, it travels inside the truck bed with the cap, nice and dry.

Reactions: Viking1204

Patassa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Guillory
Member #

I'm about to get an acid test of the T4+ riding on the roof rack in rain for an extended drive. I haven't done any water proofing or wax on the zipper at this point either unfortunately. I was debating on trying to cover it with a tarp before I strap it down, but that just never seems to work well.
How did your bag hold up? I made a 10+ hr drive in mine recently, just put the former ripped side down, didn't bother wrapping it with a tarp this time and the bag held up fine. I'm thinking now that the bag was probably ripped from low handing branches, not general wind damage on the highway. Hoping to get a T4+ overland edition bag for my T8 eventually, gazelle is having trouble stocking like most people though.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

How did your bag hold up? I made a 10+ hr drive in mine recently, just put the former ripped side down, didn't bother wrapping it with a tarp this time and the bag held up fine. I'm thinking now that the bag was probably ripped from low handing branches, not general wind damage on the highway. Hoping to get a T4+ overland edition bag for my T8 eventually, gazelle is having trouble stocking like most people though.
I've gone a few different trips without wrapping it and a couple with. So far, the bag has held up pretty well. Does have some pinholes, but they seem ok. Now the cheapo tarp I had used to wrap it when I was driving through some heavy rain... that thing shredded at highway speeds and was completely threadbare when I got there.