Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We were out hunting up in a wild area my mate could get my signel but i couldnot get his we were about a mile apart in some thick wood land. Good phone signal,

iammedan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bay Area, Ca
Member #

WPH3 (newest tech still in development i think) - can direct where you are with high pinpoint accuracy.
WPH2 (normally in major cities) - can give your location within 2000 or less feet.
and WPH1 - cell tower.

Very likely there aren't many towers in mother nature that can give you exact location. Major metropolitan areas cell towers are more prevalent to help track locations.

I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher at one point.

Edit: i also just noticed you're from the UK so i'm not sure of how things are out there.

Reactions: blackntan

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Try using a tracker app that uses GPS signal to track and cell service only to submit data.
"buddy-tracker" would probably do what you want.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i've compared a track from my phone and a track from my garmin etrex20 made on the same drive. not much difference at all as far as the track goes. obviously the app you use won't make a difference on your phone. i like the usability on some apps more than my garmin, but i usually still have both running.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

The GPS in the newer phones is pretty accurate. I had a custom security application that I could actually see what office of the building my phone was in.

Don't rely on a peice of software that requires and active connection. Find an app that allows you to download maps and use your GPS signal. I use alltrails for my hiking activity and I have used it for offroad trails when the trail was available.

I can download maps of trails, put the phone in airplane mode, turn on location service and off to town. I could see my ground track very accurately, both driving and walking, and save it afterwards.

I am sure there are better overlanding apps available, I'm up for any suggestions.

Worst case: learn to download routes from Google maps and use it offline.