How About the WJs?

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

2004 with the 4.7 and QTII sitting on OME HD springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks with IRO extended sway bar end links. IRO high clearance trans crossmember and tcase skid plate (sitting in garage). I have an NP242Hd tcase sitting in my garage to rebuild with a SYE kit. JK 17" wheels with 31" Falken AT3W's. Fawkes Fab shackle tabs with bullbar relocation running a Texas Hunter bullbar with Amazon LED's and a custom tab for the CB antenna. Yakima LoadWarrior w/ extension running an ARB awning on FourTreks mounts. Breather extension in the works. Bout to address the sag in the rear end before much longer. Lots of interior mods.

View attachment 109880
I started with the OME HD springs and eventually swapped them out. They didn't really net the lift I was looking for, and it was crazy easy to drop a spring on the trail when disconnected.

I moved over to IRO 4" springs and have been very happy. The 4" IRO springs are about 4" taller than the 3" OME Spring when sitting side by side. The taller softer spring has never come out. To be fair I also added spring retainers at the time of the swap but I've seen no evidence they have come unseated.

Got yourself a nice build going on!

Great photos!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I started with the OME HD springs and eventually swapped them out. They didn't really net the lift I was looking for, and it was crazy easy to drop a spring on the trail when disconnected.

I moved over to IRO 4" springs and have been very happy. The 4" IRO springs are about 4" taller than the 3" OME Spring when sitting side by side. The taller softer spring has never come out. To be fair I also added spring retainers at the time of the swap but I've seen no evidence they have come unseated.

Got yourself a nice build going on!

Great photos!
I don't think I'll lift it any more, otherwise I'd go a similar route. To be fair, the new spring perches I welded in on the front added 1/4" to the front end lift, essentially leveling it out, and the rear spring isolators I believe are worn. So I didn't do myself any favors by not replacing the isolators at the time of the swap, or adding in a trim spacer to counter the leveling effect from the front. It was very apparent when I had my rig loaded down in the picture. Otherwise it does well for me!

Reactions: MoreGone

TJDon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Galt CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6TUI
Bringing this thread back to the top. Lots of great WJ builds!
pic from our last family outing
4B6FFE48-5539-4D4C-AC73-17D2D2F78C5B.jpeg
Pics of latest goodies
ARB
CAC08D81-5A80-4602-ADDB-B049E8B7391F.jpeg
Rock rails
3AE9D422-07B3-4CC8-AB4D-0910057B4391.jpeg

WJeeper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

How do you like hauling a trailer with you?
Loaded down it weighs about 2000lbs. It is a bit sluggish even with the 4.7, but it works.
I’ve got a wife, 2 kids, and a dog, so fitting everything in the Jeep is just not happening. Trailer is the only way for us.

We also like to setup camp in one spot as opposed to moving from place to place every night. The trailer I think is better in that regard.