Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
For those of us who live in the hot and humid south, hot weather camping is a fact of life.

Here's a couple of ideas to make it a little more comfortable. First, forget the ground tent. Get off the ground and let "convective cooling" work for you. Try hammock camping...it really is cooler.
P1000526.JPG
Second, look at a RoofTop Tent option. It gets you off the ground and elevates you so you can catch those breezes and get away from the days heat being released from the ground.
IMG_0017.JPG
Third, use an awning to create some shade and refuge from the heat of the sun.
FJ & RTT at Mardi Krawl.jpg
Fourth, use technology like my Ryobi lithium battery powered fan. It could be the difference between a miserable sleepless night and a comfortable nights rest.
Ryobi Fan.jpg
If you've got a system for beatin the heat, share it.

peeewhyy

Rank 0

Traveler I

S. Cal
Had the same question I normally try not to camp during June/July depending where in CA. My RTT gets hot if you try to sleep in and have tried the off brand LED 4 D cell fans and they have failed always. I was actually thinking about getting that Ryobi fan... Might have to pick one up this weekend. Planning on taking my son to Majove Road next month so need anything that will help..

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Had the same question I normally try not to camp during June/July depending where in CA. My RTT gets hot if you try to sleep in and have tried the off brand LED 4 D cell fans and they have failed always. I was actually thinking about getting that Ryobi fan... Might have to pick one up this weekend. Planning on taking my son to Majove Road next month so need anything that will help..
Not to second guess you, but seems like Mojave Road in July is a very bad idea IMO. Won't be crowded! Let us know how it goes.

<hijack over>

I will go to HD and buy that battery set and get my free fan! I drank the Ryobi punch a long time ago.

Dan.

peeewhyy

Rank 0

Traveler I

S. Cal
Not to second guess you, but seems like Mojave Road in July is a very bad idea IMO. Won't be crowded! Let us know how it goes.

<hijack over>

I will go to HD and buy that battery set and get my free fan! I drank the Ryobi punch a long time ago.

Dan.
Yea it is still in the air about doing the trail during the week but the heat is what I am worried about......

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

We are in Las Vegas and camp in all types of temperatures - but mostly hot ones..... We actually use that same Ryobi Fan and love it. It is not very loud in the low setting and the high setting is worth the little extra noise when you need that air to get moving. It is also super nice that we can use an extension cord and plug it right into the inverter. We can keep the fan going on low all night and hardly see the draw in our dual battery system. We also have the Awning and a RTT. When ever we can't find good shade we will leave the rainfly to create a little bit of a heat barrier between our tent and the sun. This does seem to help on those hot days at least a little bit.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I like to use my grabber space blanket on top of my tent to reflect the sun. Reflects heat and keeps the tent dark in the morning. Seems to be the same material as the tent posted above and is surely cheaper than any purpose built cover.

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

I like to use my grabber space blanket on top of my tent to reflect the sun. Reflects heat and keeps the tent dark in the morning. Seems to be the same material as the tent posted above and is surely cheaper than any purpose built cover.

But with that blanket how are you going to look like you should be camping in space like that tent above does?

I might have to give that blanket a try! Do you need to tie it down or just lay it on top?

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

But with that blanket how are you going to look like you should be camping in space like that tent above does?

I might have to give that blanket a try! Do you need to tie it down or just lay it on top?
Depends on the wind situation. They have grommets on all 4 corners, so I usually use a bungee cord to lash it down.

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I have a small rechargeable/USB powered fan from amazon. On low it seems to last forever, on high, nah. I have a 30000 mAh battery pack with 3 USB ports for the fan, phone or whatever

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have a 12v fan for under my awning with my teardrop and run a small mister in the fan. It delivers a nice cool breeze. The teardrop is insulated with 1" of Styrofoam and with the fans inside it is nice even in the heat.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I dial back the camping during the summer months, but when I do I head for higher elevation. In the forested areas, it's just finding some shaded area for the tent and sleeping with the rain fly off.
I'm planning to try hammock camping this summer though. I've got the ENO OneLink system to experiment with, and if it works out over multiple trips, I may spring for a Warbonnet down the road.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Gotta get high! 8000' or more does it.....