Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I lost my main overlanding goal, so what now?

From the beginning on my goal was to go east, explore what's east of the Ural, and all the other regions there. Due to the devastating things happening right now this is now obsolete.
The whole situation right now is frightening and very difficult, even though I'm not personally effected right now but that's not the topic.

Did you encounter a situation that caused you to question all that "overlanding" stuff?
I feel like I just drove right into a wall and have no idea what to do now... Just move on and travel somewhere else just for the sake of traveling?
I hope that someone shares his experience with me and might point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Reactions: freak4life

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Matthias,

Your goal is only delayed, not destroyed. And, is there no other culture, country, land that would interest you? North America? South America? Asia? Africa?

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

The security situation is deteriorating globally.
You can still go to Armenia, Georgia, very beautiful countries. From there you cna break out towards the "stans ", but it will be increasingly difficult.
You can also go to Iran. In Iran you can probably spend half a year easy, it is a huge country.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Mathias,

You can continue to travel east. Caucasus and Central Asia are beautiful to travel. Central Asia can also be reached via some detours.

I'll make another example. There are some countries in North Africa/Middle East that I would like to travel to. In the last years and some of them still now, this was not possible. This has annoyed me for many years. But also there something is happening, which speaks for the fact that at least some regions there (soon) can be traveled again. And I can only wait and see. But I am confident that traveling in these countries will be possible again one day.

I have been saying for many years: there are always certain time windows in history in which it is possible to travel to certain regions. Look around for other destinations or see what you could still travel to in the East - there are many possibilities.

Bjoern

Last edited:

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
As others have said, your goal is only delayed.

What about Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey and into Georgia? I've done bits of this trip and the scenery and opportunity for adventure are incredible.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

You are all right and no it's not the only region I'm interested in.

I'm might be confused or overwhelmed, with restrictions regarding travel of pavement getting more and more crazy I'm questioning the whole thing and considering to step back to "normal camping"
It's hard for me to find words for what is going on in my mind at the moment.

@El-Dracho what African countries do you see as safe at the moment, especially Northern Africa?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

I'm might be confused or overwhelmed, with restrictions regarding travel of pavement getting more and more crazy I'm questioning the whole thing and considering to step back to "normal camping"

@El-Dracho what African countries do you see as safe at the moment, especially Northern Africa?
Of course, it is a very subjective assessment which regions each individual considers safe to travel to. That also depends a lot on the travel experience. Because you ask specifically about North Africa - Currently I would personally travel to Morocco, Tunisia and parts of Egypt, for example. I would also travel to some countries in the Middle East. As I said, the perception of safety is very individual and subjective. Everyone must decide that for themselves. And I have already undertaken trips where others have asked whether I am still in my right mind. That's how different people are and feel. And that is a good thing.

What do you mean with "restrictions regarding travel off pavement getting more and more crazy"?

Bjoern

Last edited:
Reactions: NotGumby and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

What do you mean with "restrictions regarding travel off pavement getting more and more crazy"?

Bjoern
So it seems like the more development happens in a country, the more restrictions we get, I understand why they are proud of their fresh pavement but the same amount of road is lost for us.
If I just give up and go camping with a van?

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
So, "East of the Ural" - I realise that you probably mean the regions of Asia immediately east of the Urals, however in terms of "all the other regions" which are "east of the Urals" and which currently present little or no security concerns:

UAE & Oman
South Asia except Pakistan
SE Asia
Australia

..and if you keep going east (I know a bit of a stretch)

South America
Central America
North America.

If your "overlanding" purpose is exclusively Asian Russia, then I guess you're out of luck for a decade or two, however I have to suggest that there's a lot more out there than Asian Russia.

Reactions: MazeVX

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So it seems like the more development happens in a country, the more restrictions we get, I understand why they are proud of their fresh pavement but the same amount of road is lost for us.
If I just give up and go camping with a van?
Of course, you see, for example, in developing countries in the Balkans, such as Albania, or even in the Nordic countries, for example, that more and more routes are being expanded and paved (to name just two regions in Europe). But honestly, does that really take away from the fun of traveling around? And it is afterall not really that much change going on. There is still enough to discover (even unpaved roads if you want). And with which vehicle you drive it doesn't matter at all.

Let's face it, for a significant portion of all roads and trails in Europe (and not only there), no one needs an off-road vehicle. Nevertheless, it's just fun for me to be on the road with an off-road vehicle, regardless of whether it's on tarmac, on trails, offroadtracks or whatever. I simply like that. It is a style of traveling and living for me.

Everyone as he likes. If you prefer a van, then buy a van. If you like your Jeep, keep it and take it on tours. It doesn't matter what you drive, as long as you have fun.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Turkey is a beautiful destination for overlander. Much to see, very diverse, friendly people, good food. We were last there in 2018 on the way back from Central Asia. A great time. You can spend months there, so much to see, so much to experience. And there is much more to experience on the way there.

Reactions: NotGumby

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I would add Algeria as well, though travel in the south part is restricted, there is still plenty to see.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I would add Algeria as well, though travel in the south part is restricted, there is still plenty to see.
There is a lot to see in Algeria. That's right. I'm not up to date on that right now. Is it still the case that in large parts of the country it is obligatory to be accompanied by the military?

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

There is a lot to see in Algeria. That's right. I'm not up to date on that right now. Is it still the case that in large parts of the country it is obligatory to be accompanied by the military?
Yes, on the south side, deeper in Sahara.
But since the ferry from Tunis to Italy, at least recently, was canceled, the only way to reach Tunis is via Algeria. Cross in to Morocco> Algeria>Tunisia.
If Covid restrictions lift there, maybe the ferry line to Tunis will function again, who knows .

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, on the south side, deeper in Sahara.
But since the ferry from Tunis to Italy, at least recently, was canceled, the only way to reach Tunis is via Algeria. Cross in to Morocco> Algeria>Tunisia.
If Covid restrictions lift there, maybe the ferry line to Tunis will function again, who knows .
So the ferry Genoa Tunis should be sailing currently. Because the Fenix Rally now takes place in Tunisia. Crossing of the participants to my knowledge today Genoa Tunis. But I guess it is an exclusive booking for the rally.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Algeria looks indeed promising, and it seems like there are ferrys from Marseille to Algiers, currently bookable.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I lost my main overlanding goal, so what now?

From the beginning on my goal was to go east, explore what's east of the Ural, and all the other regions there. Due to the devastating things happening right now this is now obsolete.
The whole situation right now is frightening and very difficult, even though I'm not personally effected right now but that's not the topic.

Did you encounter a situation that caused you to question all that "overlanding" stuff?
I feel like I just drove right into a wall and have no idea what to do now... Just move on and travel somewhere else just for the sake of traveling?
I hope that someone shares his experience with me and might point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
I would suggest you do not despair, nothing is permanent in this world. New avenues will open.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I would suggest you do not despair, nothing is permanent in this world. New avenues will open.
I agree. I remember 2019 I was going trough what you are going trough now. I had big plans for it. I ordered a new vehicle and frenetically getting ready and researching for my first trip in Africa, Morocco. The German dealer told me about some possible delays in delivery, I went crazy, I had all of it timed to the day. Issue got solved and 3 weeks before the departure, Europe went in to full lockdown. All went to shit for the next 2 years, as you well know even traveling inside Europe was difficult. This summer Europe will be a breeze, other countries are opening up as well, so things will improve.