Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
This was today's project. I picked up an 18" disc blade at a agricultural dealership since I don't have access to used ones anymore. These things have gone up in price, $30 and they have a thick paint job now.20170308_110005.jpg I sandblasted the disc on both sides, then cut a piece to fill in the hole.20170308_115937.jpgView attachment 18323 Then I bent up some handles and burned it all together View attachment 18324 Sanded down, alomost done. I filled in those little holes and sanded it out.20170308_123719.jpg I bought a turkey fryer at Walmart on clearance for $20. 20170308_131307.jpgI put the fryer together and fired it up. I washed the skottle then got it hot and threw on some bacon, because bacon grease works so well for seasoning pans. And because I was hungry and we had bacon.20170308_134648.jpg I ate the bacon while I put this post together. All in all, a pretty successful day!20170308_135200.jpg

I hope this post turns out right. I'm not exactly tech savvy.
Thanks for lookin'
The Lorax

Attachments

Last edited:

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

I use the same thing. I have 2. One is 24", other is 18".
Makes great stir fry. Easy to control heat and easy to clean.
I Use the 18" over a camp fire with a tripod. Hangs off 3 chains.

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I dig the ingenuity here. I just bought a skottle and I love it but this is also a great idea.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
This is actually where the skottle idea came from. I learned about these years ago in Texas. The Mexican migrant workers would make these to cook on. I worked with some guys who would cook up tacos at lunch. They would flag me down to come eat when I pulled in. lol! The skottle is the South African version. Is the one you bought preseasoned? Or is it coated, like teflon?

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
....and then there's that abandoned disc shaft out behind my shop with about 5 discs on it....

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
....and then there's that abandoned disc shaft out behind my shop with about 5 discs on it....
We had tons of used disc blades growing up. But, when I want to make a skottle, I couldn't find any. Everything was buried under a couple feet of snow.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I did the same thing with a $20 turkey fryer but used an old cast iron wok that my mom had. It works great. I can also use a large cast iron frying pan on it.