jaymar

Rank I

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
Looking to fuel a Partner Steel Cook Partner stove. Who are the players here, for well-built tanks, mounts, covers?

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR

Why I chose this:

While there are several advantages to choosing a Viking Cylinders product over steel propane gas tanks, a key benefit is safety. Traditional steel tanks can explode when put under stress (such as a puncture or a fire), but a Viking Cylinders tank will not explode in a fire. Tests have proven that our propane gas cylinders will react with a controlled burnout when in a fire, and bullets puncturing the cylinder do not cause fires or explosions. Mounted with powertank mount.

IMG_8855.jpeg

jaymar

Rank I

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 gallon tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...

Reactions: genocache

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a small propane tank, mainly because I don't do the gourmet thing, Boil water for backpacker meals or oatmeal and coffee in the morning. I have a Kelly Kettle to boil water or a single burner Coleman stove. Then I'm not feeding anyone else either. I got the propane mainly for my Buddy heater on those freezing nights.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 gallon tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...
4.5 gallon or 4.5lb? Those linked above are 4.5lb which is a little under 1 gallon. 4.5 gallon would be like a standard bbq cylinder which is massive for camping unless you're running a heater every night.

As I understand the math, 1lb of propane should give you about 1 hour of runtime at full blast on a dual 10k BTU stove like the Everest 2 or Cook Partner. I have the Everest 2 and have pulled a full week out of my 4.5lb bottle without issue cooking breakfast and dinner but I still carry a 1lb spare just in case.

Reactions: jaymar

jaymar

Rank I

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
4.5 gallon or 4.5lb? Those linked above are 4.5lb which is a little under 1 gallon. 4.5 gallon would be like a standard bbq cylinder which is massive for camping unless you're running a heater every night.

As I understand the math, 1lb of propane should give you about 1 hour of runtime at full blast on a dual 10k BTU stove like the Everest 2 or Cook Partner. I have the Everest 2 and have pulled a full week out of my 4.5lb bottle without issue cooking breakfast and dinner but I still carry a 1lb spare just in case.
Sorry, pound. :)

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Angel Fire, Colfax County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Ok, I've had one of these Viking Propane tanks for almost a year now.
17 Lb Tank
Summary review, it works great! No problems at all. Highly durable and strong.
Two features that I like the most:
1) I can easily tell exactly how much propane I have every night with a flash light. This is quick simple and as easy as looking at your water level through the side of a Nalgene (although it does need to be dark out). I didn't even really give this feature any credit at the time of purchase but it is by far the coolest part of these tanks!
2) It's just flat out stupid light.

IMG_6845 (1).jpeg

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

Why I chose this:

While there are several advantages to choosing a Viking Cylinders product over steel propane gas tanks, a key benefit is safety. Traditional steel tanks can explode when put under stress (such as a puncture or a fire), but a Viking Cylinders tank will not explode in a fire. Tests have proven that our propane gas cylinders will react with a controlled burnout when in a fire, and bullets puncturing the cylinder do not cause fires or explosions. Mounted with powertank mount.

View attachment 202729
Have you found a place where they will recertify the Viking tank? I have been looking into purchasing on of these tanks but I am hearing in the good USA it is hard to find a place to recert.

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

17 Lb Tank
1) I can easily tell exactly how much propane I have every night with a flash light. This is quick simple and as easy as looking at your water level through the side of a Nalgene (although it does need to be dark out). I didn't even really give this feature any credit at the time of purchase but it is by far the coolest part of these tanks!

View attachment 255366
Have you found a location that will recertify the tank at the 5-year mark?

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Angel Fire, Colfax County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

17 Lb Tank

View attachment 255366
Have you found a location that will recertify the tank at the 5-year mark?
As long as the tank doesn’t look like it’s 30 years old, I haven’t found a refill place that even bothers to check the tank before they fill it.

Reactions: mouellette012