High-Quality Propane Tank?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

jaymar

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
Looking to fuel a Partner Steel Cook Partner stove. Who are the players here, for well-built tanks, mounts, covers?

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6IHR

Why I chose this:

While there are several advantages to choosing a Viking Cylinders product over steel propane gas tanks, a key benefit is safety. Traditional steel tanks can explode when put under stress (such as a puncture or a fire), but a Viking Cylinders tank will not explode in a fire. Tests have proven that our propane gas cylinders will react with a controlled burnout when in a fire, and bullets puncturing the cylinder do not cause fires or explosions. Mounted with powertank mount.

IMG_8855.jpeg

Reactions: Kch01

jaymar

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 gallon tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...

Reactions: genocache

genocache

Rank V

Advocate II

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a small propane tank, mainly because I don't do the gourmet thing, Boil water for backpacker meals or oatmeal and coffee in the morning. I have a Kelly Kettle to boil water or a single burner Coleman stove. Then I'm not feeding anyone else either. I got the propane mainly for my Buddy heater on those freezing nights.

LostWoods

Rank IV

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Member #

Obviously it's going to vary somewhat but, generally speaking--how many cooks would you expect to get out of, say, a 4.5 gallon tank using a Cook Partner two-burner? I've always avoided foods that need to be cooked because of time, space and weight considerations , but have decided to give it a whirl...
4.5 gallon or 4.5lb? Those linked above are 4.5lb which is a little under 1 gallon. 4.5 gallon would be like a standard bbq cylinder which is massive for camping unless you're running a heater every night.

As I understand the math, 1lb of propane should give you about 1 hour of runtime at full blast on a dual 10k BTU stove like the Everest 2 or Cook Partner. I have the Everest 2 and have pulled a full week out of my 4.5lb bottle without issue cooking breakfast and dinner but I still carry a 1lb spare just in case.

Reactions: jaymar

jaymar

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
John
Last Name
Marlow
4.5 gallon or 4.5lb? Those linked above are 4.5lb which is a little under 1 gallon. 4.5 gallon would be like a standard bbq cylinder which is massive for camping unless you're running a heater every night.

As I understand the math, 1lb of propane should give you about 1 hour of runtime at full blast on a dual 10k BTU stove like the Everest 2 or Cook Partner. I have the Everest 2 and have pulled a full week out of my 4.5lb bottle without issue cooking breakfast and dinner but I still carry a 1lb spare just in case.
Sorry, pound. :)