Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

Crossing the high Rockies from Gunnison to Aspen and back to Crested Butte then around Paradise Divide and out over Kebler. This challenging run is not for the faint of heart or Ill equipped. We’ll meet in St. Elmo Friday morning for the run over Tincup to Taylor Park, and do Taylor and Pearl on Saturday, then Paradise Divide and Kebler Sunday. (Original plan to exit over Schofield foiled by snow and rock slides.)

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hope Pearl is open. I is normally only open for about a month or so, and many years never opens. As far as hard goes, Pearl is bumpy with tons of volley ball sized rocks, but would never call it hard. I would not hesitate to take my trailer over either. I have run both a dozen times or more. Coming up from the Ashcroft side, near the top, there is a place where all there is is scree and it looks almost alien. On the way down Scofield, stop at Crystal Mill and take a look at one of Colorado's most photographed spots.

I started from Taylor Park and went over Taylor Pass to Ashcroft for lunch and then back over Pearl Pass to Crested Butte. It is one LONG day/drive.

You might want to take a detour on Scofield and go up Lead King Basin. It is a bit harder and longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeroscout and Boort

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Crossing the high Rockies from Gunnison to Aspen and back to Crested Butte then on to Marble. This challenging run is not for the faint of heart or Ill equipped. We’ll meet in Taylor Park, and do a pass each day. More details and routes to come, but put it on the calendar and get ready for some difficult trails, epic views, and some of the most beautiful places in Colorado.

Pumped for this! Thanks for planning it Dave. As of today I’m in!

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This challenging run is not for the faint of heart or Ill equipped.
Sounds like a blast and hope you all have a great time! Just curious, in your mind what makes someone well equipped for an adventure like this? Thanks!

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

This challenging run is not for the faint of heart or Ill equipped.
Sounds like a blast and hope you all have a great time! Just curious, in your mind what makes someone well equipped for an adventure like this? Thanks!
“We’ll equipped” is VERY subjective. These are some of the more challenging trails in Colorado for non-heavily modified rock crawlers. Our group still has modified rigs, with lifts, skid plates, and sliders along with adequate recovery gear to ensure a safe journey. There’s lots of great articles on the Overland Bound forums about gear, vehicles, and being prepared for the types of trips you want to take… it’s a great place to learn a ton!!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
“We’ll equipped” is VERY subjective. These are some of the more challenging trails in Colorado for non-heavily modified rock crawlers. Our group still has modified rigs, with lifts, skid plates, and sliders along with adequate recovery gear to ensure a safe journey. There’s lots of great articles on the Overland Bound forums about gear, vehicles, and being prepared for the types of trips you want to take… it’s a great place to learn a ton!!
Thanks! Was looking for a little clarification and from your description am well-equipped, just wondering if I should be looking at adding something before tackling these areas. CO is definitely on the bucket list and I really wish this trip could be a reality for me. Someday! Hope you all have an absolute blast and would not mind seeing some pics/vid from the trip! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;)

Reactions: trail_runn4r