Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I see several folks mentioning that it's time for a meet up, but not just grabbin' drinks. Hidden Falls was mentioned so BAM! Lets do this.
I think sooner rather than later, why wait. Feb 18 or 25 (both Saturdays) appeal to me. Any objections to those dates or maybe you have some better dates? It looks like there are plenty of campsites available as of now for either of those dates above, in case anyone wants to spend more than a day, or just doesn't want to drive home after.

Who wants to go? What dates do you like? Do you want to camp or just hang for the day? I'm running out of questions to ask...

Reactions: pixelsailor

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

I'm down. A couple groups were out this past weekend and I missed out. Want to get back out there. Can't commit to a day quite yet. The 25th is likely available. I need to check my wife's schedule to see if I could do the 18th.

Any thought as to what types of trails? I like to be adventurous but I'm riding stock and my rig is my daily driver so I need to use some caution. Might bring a buddy out for his first time if he can make it.

I want to have my RTT mounted so I can get a feel for wheeling with it on so I'd be game for camping. I'd be more inclined to stay at Camp Creek or Shaffer Bend. Slightly cheaper and no obligation to wheel a second day.

Reactions: Dennis Burns

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

They have trails for every rig and skill level. I'm sure some will want to dent up some sheet metal on the rough stuff and some will want to take the scenic route with a few obstacles to play on.

As far as dates go, there is no reason this one meet up has to be the last one. We can make it a more regular thing so if anyone misses out this time there will be more opportunities im sure.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

The trails are mostly hill country limestone with some black soil, yellow caliche, and a few spots with the reddish sandy clay.

The trails are relatively well maintained but some have washed out.

I'll post pics from my last trip (12/31/15)

Stock jeep patriot 4x4 and stock jeep renegade 2wd got around the basic trails and climbed "wildcat mountain" just fine.

My first trip was in a 2wd f150 and got around lots of places, even places less experienced 4x4s were having trouble.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

To connect to a proper antenna, I used a BNC connector from radio shack, catalog number 2780120.

The store in San antonio had a few on a peg.

KoiClayton

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, Texas
Member #

I'm down. A couple groups were out this past weekend and I missed out. Want to get back out there. Can't commit to a day quite yet. The 25th is likely available. I need to check my wife's schedule to see if I could do the 18th.

Any thought as to what types of trails? I like to be adventurous but I'm riding stock and my rig is my daily driver so I need to use some caution. Might bring a buddy out for his first time if he can make it.

I want to have my RTT mounted so I can get a feel for wheeling with it on so I'd be game for camping. I'd be more inclined to stay at Camp Creek or Shaffer Bend. Slightly cheaper and no obligation to wheel a second day.
My basically stock 2wd titan still has fun out there. There are a bunch of different grade trails, and even most of the harder ones have side trails that are easier.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I'm in as long as work schedule plays along. Never been out there but have been meaning to go

Dennis Burns

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

northwood SATX
Member #

I'm new to OB and have wanted to try HF fee awhile. If y'all don't mind a rank armature I would love to come and pick your brains about overlanding and trailer builds. Y'all pick a day and I'll do my best to make it.

Sent from my LG-V930 using OB Talk mobile app

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm new to OB and have wanted to try HF fee awhile. If y'all don't mind a rank armature I would love to come and pick your brains about overlanding and trailer builds. Y'all pick a day and I'll do my best to make it.

Sent from my LG-V930 using OB Talk mobile app
Lookin like Feb 18th.

It is also looking like a variety of capabilities so even if there are two groups, nobody should be going places either alone or where they aren't comfortable.

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

Bump :)

18th is this weekend! Everyone still coming? I'm picking up my CB today. Didn't get an antenna yet so hopefully I'll have comms as long I maintain LoS. I'll be rolling in my black '17 Tacoma TRD, easily distinguished by the orange roof-rack and likely my RTT over the bed. My buddy will have his silver '15 Tacoma. Both are stock. We're planning on sticking to the 2 and 3 trails. Maybe a short 4 here and there if need be.

What time does everyone want arrive? I think realistically I could do 10am. But if there's consensus for an earlier time I'll make it work. It's mostly a matter of getting the kiddo dressed and out the door... And where's the best place to meet? At the check-in lot? Or inside the park... Area B?

Weather looks clear so far. Rain is expected Sunday. Keep an eye on it in case it moves in faster.

Last edited:

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I was just about to make a post asking if 10 am will work.

At the park would probably be best, it is easy to find. That way we can get a head count and a game plan together.