Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I was hoping to get a little feedback from the experienced members of the community. I currently carry a Hi-lift and a hand full of accessories to optimize the versatility. I've completely ditched the scissor jack that comes stock. I also carry a 3 ton jack-stand for repairs and spare tire swaps. If i get a flat, I use the lift-mate to lift directly from the wheel, place the jack-stand and remove the Hi-lift. Its fairly efficient, but I have yet to find a good jack-stand with an integrated base for off road use. My issue is that the jack-stand sinks on gravel or dirt roads. I've been carrying a few 16" lengths of 2x4. Id like to streamline this whole system if possible. The considerations are: The wheels are the only jack points for the hi-lift. A bottle jack would be an OK replacement for the stand if i could obtain a jack and extensions for a good price. I need the hi-lift regardless of what other jack I buy because i use it for winching.

Is anyone else using a similar setup? Its heavy and bulky but so far its working. What else is available without breaking the bank?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I was hoping to get a little feedback from the experienced members of the community. I currently carry a Hi-lift and a hand full of accessories to optimize the versatility. I've completely ditched the scissor jack that comes stock. I also carry a 3 ton jack-stand for repairs and spare tire swaps. If i get a flat, I use the lift-mate to lift directly from the wheel, place the jack-stand and remove the Hi-lift. Its fairly efficient, but I have yet to find a good jack-stand with an integrated base for off road use. My issue is that the jack-stand sinks on gravel or dirt roads. I've been carrying a few 16" lengths of 2x4. Id like to streamline this whole system if possible. The considerations are: The wheels are the only jack points for the hi-lift. A bottle jack would be an OK replacement for the stand if i could obtain a jack and extensions for a good price. I need the hi-lift regardless of what other jack I buy because i use it for winching.

Is anyone else using a similar setup? Its heavy and bulky but so far its working. What else is available without breaking the bank?
I assume you have a Hi Lyft base, to go with the jack. Get some HD (thick ply-wood), and cut a square bigger than the size of the jack stands base footprint. If it needs some reinforcement, screw/glue some matching size pieces of wood to the plywood bottom. Paint or seal it. If you have access to scrap metal, cut some pipe, that will fit over a bottle jack- screw pin. Weld it to a piece of 'U'-? (3 side) cut steel to create a saddle. Just big enough to encompass the pin-head, and keep it centered/stable. This will give you a stable lifting point on a axle, that won't easily slip. In combination with the plywood base, you now have a viable jack lifting point that can be used in different areas under your vehicle. NOTE: This will be extremely cheaper than buying ready made versions, which companies charge a fortune for. Paint to prevent rust, and voila,...NOTE 2, using different size steel, you can make optional jack point pieces, that fit frame rails, and other areas.
Depending on your vehicle size, a 4 or 6 ton bottle jack should be fine. A 8 ton starts being either too heavy, or too bulky.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I usually go on about how i never use my hilift well this past weekend i had to use it to get my tire rotation done. My bottle jack wasnt wanting to lift all the way so i hooked onto my front and rear hitch points and lifted with the hilift to get stands under it. Its not optimal and i felt sketch the whole time but its do able. If you need a good jack base offroad use a steel spare tire. I dont know what your driving nor what it weighs but a hilift is not optimal for winching they have a working load of around 4200 lb and a fail load around 8000lb if stuck in mud or trying to winch uphill youll easily exceed that if your rig isnt already over weight rating. My truck weighs around 6500lb unloaded so for me a hilift winching is already unsafe. If anything get a electric winch and save the hilift for side pulls when you have to finesse the rig back on trail with electric winch and a hilift.

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If I were in your position I would just weld a piece of thicker sheet metal to the bottom of the jack stand.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I always use my HiLift for tire rotation, and any other time I get a chance, everyone complains about how unsafe a HiLift Rack is I think it because they don’t use it enough, and therefore don’t use it correctly. I’m comfortable, confident, but still cautious of the HiLift. I just can’t justify the outrageous price of the ARB jack, and nothing else on the market can do what the HiLift can.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I use the exact same practices, and keep these collapsable jacks in the back of my vehicle. They break down easily--the base is held on to the main red column with a simple screw, which I simply havent installed--so storage is a snap. And, as you asked, the flat base is great for sand. However, for taller rigs, their limited height pretty much only makes them useful for use on axle tubes.

Torin Big Red Aluminum Jack Stands: 3 Ton Capacity, 1 Pair

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I built a small platform to stand on in our outdoor shower. It is made of 1/2 x 3” pressure treated decking planks. It is 18” square. Not only do we use it to stand on in the shower, we use it at the entry to our annex, or to stand upon anywhere needed in mud or slippery terrain. It also has been used as a big foot for our hi-lift, or could easily be used with a jack stand. A triple purpose tool .

Reactions: Desert Runner

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
One highlift. Wheel grabber for highlift. The highlift is handy for breaking beads and winching as well.

Ford Superduty mechanical bottle jack, and the stick and lug wrench to turn it. Very long throw, and $20-30 at any junkyard. Not too heavy either. Get two, and they're nearly as safe as jackstands.

A couple boards.

No jack stands, too heavy. If you need to go under the truck while jacked, cut down a tree, or get towed back to civilization. We only carry jack stands if traveling in a group. To save weight, one truck has jacks, other stands, third has tools.

Reactions: Desert Runner