• HTML tutorial

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hello,

My name is Brooke. I'm new to the Overland scene. I just bought a 2006 Off Road Xterra in June. I've been weekend warrioring it just about every weekend since. This is my first 4x4 so I bought a trail book and have just been starting with level 1 trails working my way up. I am located in Nevada, close to Tahoe. Would love to wheel with folks in the area. I have the standard work schedule M-F so I can really only make it out on weekends, but that's been fine so far. If your in the area and also new or don't mind taking a newbie along I'd love to join. Feel free to PM me. Cheers and nice to meet ya'll!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello,

My name is Brooke. I'm new to the Overland scene. I just bought a 2006 Off Road Xterra in June. I've been weekend warrioring it just about every weekend since. This is my first 4x4 so I bought a trail book and have just been starting with level 1 trails working my way up. I am located in Nevada, close to Tahoe. Would love to wheel with folks in the area. I have the standard work schedule M-F so I can really only make it out on weekends, but that's been fine so far. If your in the area and also new or don't mind taking a newbie along I'd love to join. Feel free to PM me. Cheers and nice to meet ya'll!
Hi, Brooke and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: Brooke

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
A couple quick thoughts. Is it an automatic and if so, do you know if the radiator has been replaced? If it hasn't, you probably need to have that done asap before the radiator goes bad and it cooks the transmission. My 07 lost the transmission because of that and it's a pretty expensive fix that can be avoided with a $150 radiator.

You can do a bypass of the transmission cooler in the radiator and just use the external one for the time being but I'd have that checked out pretty quick, I've heard from $2500-4000 to replace the transmission.

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@TerryD It is an automatic. I isolated the radiator the first day I got it. Checked for SMOD @ the dealership. Replaced the timing chain and tensioners. Replaced all hoses and fluids. Now I'm working on the driveline. I did a lot of research ahead of time~ Kinda lurked watching Overlandbound videos and Expedition Overland stuff. I couldn't afford a Toyota - thought about the FJ for a while and the Tacoma. <3 my Nissan though.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The used Toyo prices are what put me in an Xterra as well but I love mine! Glad to hear you got the two big things that plague the earlier 2nd gens taken care of. Check out TheNewX.org for LOTS of good tech on them. There are write-ups for about anything you want to do to a 2nd gen Xterra there. I have the same username over there as well, you can see what little I've done to mine as a build.

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@TerryD Yeah, I've been reading that forum for a while now, lots of great information. Unfortunately when I tried to sign up it glitched out and now I can't register with my email... I dunno what's going on. Also, WTH happened with all the images on that site!? Suddenly they are all placeholders. Anyways, I'm about to post a write up on my build ambitions. Keep an eye out :) Also you can find me on reddit r/overland and r/xterra

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Photobucket happened. They decided to start charging to post your photos on forums. They pretty much broke 90% of the forums out there when they did that. ALL my previous build threads are now pictureless and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to fix them at this point.