Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Pollos
Member #

I've been backpacking and driving to cool spots for years, but just recently dove into building up my Overlanding setup.

I just upgraded my suspension on my Tacoma and added some functional accessories. I'm in the early planning stages of building my own 4x6 off-road trailer for a RTT.

I'm looking forward to learning, meeting up with people and finding some fun adventures to go on.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Can you give some specifics on your suspension and wheel/tire setup? I can't decide what to do on my tacoma suspension. I just bought it and haven't done anything to it yet. I can't handle being totally stock. :)

Romer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Pollos
Member #

Can you give some specifics on your suspension and wheel/tire setup? I can't decide what to do on my tacoma suspension. I just bought it and haven't done anything to it yet. I can't handle being totally stock. :)
I have an Icon Stage III setup with 285/75-16 Goodyear MTRs on XD Machetes.

I had Icon suspension on my 2013 Tacoma and loved it. It does well at speed on rough, backcountry roads which is typically what I do the most. It's firm on the roadways and doesn't allow for a lot of body roll. It won't be super cushy like a trophy truck, but the ride is definitely improved over the stock suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Welcome from the Tetons! I'm hoping to explore more of N ID soon.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USMC
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the icon systems already so I guess I'm on the right track. Your truck looks great by the way.

Reactions: Romer

Romer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Pollos
Member #

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the icon systems already so I guess I'm on the right track. Your truck looks great by the way.
Thanks man. The holy trinity of suspension systems for Tacomas are Icon, King and Fox. There are a lot more options out there like Bilstein, OME, Toytec, etc., but those top three are the ones that get the most attention due to their racing backgrounds.

Read up on progressive and digressive shock valving. That's why I went with Icon.

Here's an article on a Tundra forum with guys who run all sorts of suspension and have all sorts of opinions: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-suspension-talk/104597-icons-vs-fox-2.html#/topics/104597?page=3

My advice is to go and find people who have the two or three types of suspension systems you're interested in, on your model of truck, and give them a test drive. That's the only way you'll know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USMC
Thank you very much for the info. It's hard for me to spend so much money on something that I don't seem to use like I would a fridge or rtt or whatever. However, in reality the suspension gets used everytime you get in the truck. And then I think about how I have the "upgraded" Bilstein shocks on my truck so in my mind it's hard to replace a so-called upgraded component. I know the Fox or icons would probably be considerably better but I just have to get my mind thinking that way.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I've been backpacking and driving to cool spots for years, but just recently dove into building up my Overlanding setup.

I just upgraded my suspension on my Tacoma and added some functional accessories. I'm in the early planning stages of building my own 4x6 off-road trailer for a RTT.

I'm looking forward to learning, meeting up with people and finding some fun adventures to go on.
Hey Romer and welcome to OB! Nice Tacoma! Safe travels man and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: Romer