louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I recently bought a No Boundaries 10.6 off road type camper. It has the "solar ready" sticker with a small plug on the rear of the camper to plug in a solar panel. The wires go straight to the battery with no charge controller. I don't really call that solar ready, but I guess it sounds good for marketing. Anyway, I decided to set up two 100w solar panels on the roof and use a charge controller to make sure I don't mess up the batteries.
I just used two pieces of 2" aluminium angle to attach to the Rhino rack to hold the panels. I mounted the angle to the Rhino rail and the panels are about an inch off the roof, but still below the Rhino cross bars, so I can still load the rack and not interfere with the panels, other than blocking the sun. I went to Harbor Freight and bought their trailer tongue tool box for about $100 with a coupon. Its a pretty good box, I have the same on another trailer to hold straps and rigging gear. I had a solar panel set up I bought years ago and never took out of the box, so now I'm using it. Its a Renogy kit with 100w monocrystalline panels and a 40a MPPT controller. Before mounting everything, I tested it. (pic below) I ran the solar to the controller and then ran the 2 wires to the battery and hooked up a 2000w inverter to the battery (also from Harbor Freight) and then hooked up a shop fan to the inverter and let it run and see how it works. After 5 hours, its running great and the inverter and controller are not even warm. So, in the box I am going to set up two batteries and mount the inverter and controller in there as well. Most of the wiring will be in the box with only two wires coming in from solar panels and two going out to feed the camper. I also ordered two recepticals that I'm going to add on the outside of the box, one 12vdc and one 120vac coming off the inverter. I'm off grid 90% of the time and this seems like it is going to provide a lot of 12vdc power and even some 120vac if I ever need it. It will run the A/C, but not for very long, so I rely on 12vdc fans for cooling at night when I sleep. Harbor Freight also has a 100w solar kit for $120 with coupon that comes with a controller, I have 2 of the older 45w kits and they work great. Anyway, this seems a good way to have power without spending a lot. With the inverter, I can use 120v appliances and then with 200w solar, I can build the batteries back up pretty quick. So, for about $350, I can get the box, 100w solar kit with controller and a 2000w inverter. Everything is in one box, lockable and weather proof and with the receptcles on the side, I can power tools or whatever and not even have to go inside and run a cord. This set up will run a drill, soldering iron, coffee pot, microwave, etc.

Attachments

Last edited: