Help re registering vehicle in EU when away for over 12 months

• HTML tutorial
Hi Guys I am very much a newbie, so please take it easy on me for a wee while.

My partner and I are planning to move to Spain end of this year. We will initially rent a house in Andalucia and over time, but a small country house. The aim is to use this our base to explore Europe and Africa over the coming years. We plane to purchase a medium sized 4x4 overland rig and use this as our expedition vehicle, leaving it somewhere safe at the end of each trip and returning to it some months later to continue.

We have started looking at vehicles and are pretty certain what we need and in no great hurry to find the right one. Component within any decision is the home base registration and how we can keep the vehicle registered when it does not return to that country before registration expiry.

Given folks take multi year overland expeditions, I guess this is not an unusual issue and we would very much appreciate any advice or information that can assist us to understand if purchasing (or registering in one country in the EU, or outside EU, is better than another), if this has insurance or other implication etc.

Quite separately, I have liven in and explore Australia overland for man years and would be most happy to assist anyone looking to visit downunder. I have also ridden motorbikes offroad throughout Argentina, Chile and a bit of Bolivia ( I was a team member at Dakar 2014) and can also assist folks in planning or contacts for Sth American exploration - mainly in Argentina.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

GEO_Fabi.Mhlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Radolfzell, Germany
First Name
Fabian
Last Name
Mahler
Member #

Hey,

I'm from Germany but I guess the procedure is almost the same cause it's Europe :)
But its hard to explain, cause we Germans love to do stuff the more complicated way!

First you need to buy the Car and all the papers with it, that includes registration document and vehicle registration. Sounds almost the same but it isnt.

Second you need a insurance. That is easy to find online. They give you a Electronic insurance confirmation Number which is essential!

Next you need TÜV-Report and Authorization for car tax.

With all that you go to the next vehicle registration office. Then it depends if the vehicle was already registered in the state or not.
That procedure costs about 20-30 Euros.

If you need any further information shoot me an PM!

Greetings
Fabian