Help me pick a daily driver overland rig!

• HTML tutorial

thescientist

Rank 0

Contributor I

Centreville, VA, USA
First Name
Parker
Last Name
Irvin
Hi all,

I am just about to graduate from college and have some money saved up to invest in an overland rig. This will be my introduction to overlanding, so I don't have a ton of perspective but I've always loved spending time in the outdoors (camping, backpacking, surfing, cycling, hiking, rock climbing) and overlanding seems like a great way to do that in community and while covering greater distances/seeing more of the world than I would be able to on my feet. I would be using this car as my daily driver during the week and taking weekend trips to the mountains/beach and camping in/on it. If I drive to work I have calculated that I will likely drive 20k miles over the next year including a few long trips on the weekends. I don't expect to have a ton of time for expedition-like travel, but I would like to have the option of pursuing it in the future.

With that much driving, it is hard to ignore gas milage, but even if I'm getting only 12mpg with an FJ80, I would only save $1500 over the course of the year by driving a newer SUV that gets closer to 18 MPG so I am not sure how much weight that will play. I also have the option of taking the metro in to work, and If I were to do that It would take my yearly milage down a ton and save me quite a bit on gas. (I know my bio says I am in Jacksonville, but I will be moving to northern VA and working in MD in august so the metro is a solid option)

I think I have narrowed my choices down to 4 options:
1) My Parent's1993 FZJ80 - I actually grew up driving this truck. It is really solid structurally; no rust or dents and the paint is nice (white). The seats are beat up pretty bad but the rest of the interior is in great shape. The axels need to be rebuilt and it will likely need at least a top end rebuild as it burns A LOT of oil. We're talking like 1L/500 miles or more. It seems like it could be more work than its worth, but given the condition of the body/frame and the fact that I know the history of the vehicle, I am not sure. BTW: I would be buying it from my parents for $3500 then investing whatever is necessary to get it to reliable DD status. *Terrible MPG
2) Somebody Else's FZJ80 - If it turns out that the '93 is not worth saving, this would be the next most affordable option. Not really sure what to budget for a good one of these cause prices are all over the place. Ideally would be looking for "low milage" and/or a recent top end rebuild. *Terrible MPG
3) 5th Gen 4Runner - This would definitely be the most expensive option here and not leave much left over for immediate mods but they look fantastic built up and It would be nice to have the amenities of a modern vehicle, although thats definitely not a requirement. I have seen some higher milage ~2010 models for $16-20k. I would likely get a loan for this and make a 50% down payment, saving a few grand for tires and a 2.5in lift if needed. Downside here is the cost and not having a ton of $$ left over for mods. *Decent MPG
4) FJ Cruiser (2007-2014) - The FJ confuses me. From some angles it looks great, from others it looks like a 4WD balloon that someone over filled. They do look pretty great built up and they are still new enough that there is still quite a while before major repairs on worn out parts are needed. $14 - 20k keeps the Cruiser on the upper end of my budget so I would likely put 50% down on one of these too while saving a few grand for tires. *They get decent MPGs and are still newer reliable cars.

I think this decision is really going to hinge on the value of the '93 FZJ80. If at $3500 it is still worth dumping some money to get it running strong, that would be my preferred option since I know the vehicle's history and after a rebuild I'd feel good about getting another couple hundred thousand miles out of it. I like the look of the FZJ80 and the fact that its basically a classic that is also extremely capable and has a decent amount of creature comforts (AC, Radio, relatively quiet on road etc. ). I also like that it is relatively affordable compared to my other options which leaves lots of $$$ for mods.
However, I just don't know what a reasonable amount of $ is worth spending to get it in good running shape.

*I have about $10k saved up currently for a down payment/vehicle purchase and have budgeted about $500/mo of disposable income that I could commit to investing in mods or a car payment (24 mo. max). If a vehicle costs $20k and I put 50% down, that equates to about $440/mo and eats up most of my mod budget. A $17500 car will leave me with a payment of $330/mo - a bit left for mods but not a ton.

Where is my money best spent? I like the idea of being able to mod the 80 right away - depending on the fair purchase price of someone else's 80 or repairing my parent's. However, it would definitely be comforting to have a newer vehicle from a reliability standpoint and they just look sweet (but would stay mostly stock for a while).

Hoping you guys can offer me some advice! Thanks!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

From some angles it looks great, from others it looks like a 4WD balloon that someone over filled.
I'd stick with the 4WD balloon comparison. Definitely not in the same class as your other choices.

Newer does not mean more reliable. If old is rust free !! Huge plus. All the mechanical components can be rebuilt. And old Toyotas can be serviced anywhere. On the MPG thing, once loaded and running off road nothing gets good mileage. I almost bought a new F150 because it is rated so high, but towing a trailer like I tow with my TJ it drops to 15mpg which is what I get towing with my Wrangler.

Last edited:

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Congrats on your graduation!

What's more valuable to you? Your time or your money?
Are you willing to spend time not going out because you're working on the truck or because you don't know if your truck can make the trip?
Does your new place in N. VA provide you with space to work on your truck? You're talking some major repairs. Not difficult, but you'll definitely need a place to work.
Driving in the city will be much more pleasant in the 4Runner than any of the other options.

What *I* would do: Get a 4Runner Trail edition. Skip the lift and skip trail armor. Wear out the tires before replacing and don't go wider than stock when replacing; you'll have no need for a lift. Use this for long-distance overlanding as well as DD.
If you have a place to work on the LC, buy your parent's and take your time turning it into your off-roading local explorer. If, in a few years, the LC becomes the vehicle you really want, you can sell the 4Runner for almost what you bought it for.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

What *I* would do: Get a 4Runner Trail edition. Skip the lift and skip trail armor. Wear out the tires before replacing and don't go wider than stock when replacing; you'll have no need for a lift.
This definitely, regardless of what you buy. Some 4x4s are great out of the box and lifting, adding bigger tires just add stress resulting in breakage. Drive the tires off it first, then make an intelligent decision on the mods it might need. Don't be driven by ego.

It is honestly way more fun to follow a bunch of high dollar modified rigs in something perfectly stock than to just join in the money pit of needless modifications.

Nate the Great

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Lyon, MI, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
T4R
Member #

Congrats on your graduation!

What's more valuable to you? Your time or your money?
Are you willing to spend time not going out because you're working on the truck or because you don't know if your truck can make the trip?
Does your new place in N. VA provide you with space to work on your truck? You're talking some major repairs. Not difficult, but you'll definitely need a place to work.
Driving in the city will be much more pleasant in the 4Runner than any of the other options.

What *I* would do: Get a 4Runner Trail edition. Skip the lift and skip trail armor. Wear out the tires before replacing and don't go wider than stock when replacing; you'll have no need for a lift. Use this for long-distance overlanding as well as DD.
If you have a place to work on the LC, buy your parent's and take your time turning it into your off-roading local explorer. If, in a few years, the LC becomes the vehicle you really want, you can sell the 4Runner for almost what you bought it for.
Great advice!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It is not just a question of time versus money. How mechanically inclined are you?

If you are good at working on things yourself then I would lean towards your parent's 80 series. But if not, then I would say get something new that you are less likely to need to work on.

Let your own aptitudes help you decide.

Reactions: RoarinRow

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

There are other considerations. As someone who has lived in the DMV (DC, MD VA) for over 30 years traffic is terrible. Metro has had it's share of problems and ridership is down because of it.

You should have a reliable vehicle that gets decent mileage as a daily driver. Once your set with that than have fun with an overlanding rig. I like the idea of building your parents 80 series if rust doesn't disqualify. A Florida car is a great start. Start slow and don't over do it. Good tires and camping gear to start. There are few if any areas within a few hours that the 80 can't handle stock. Enjoy and look me up when you get to the area.