Help me decides between a 1997 FJ80 Landcruiser and a 1999 Lexus LX470

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Landon
Last Name
Edwards
kinda not sure what I should go for. The LC has updated triple lockers, bluetooth radio, 2.5” lift with new tires, a winch, and rear tire carrier. 97k miles are on the clock and is in great condition. Asking price is $12k. The LX has 200k miles on the clock with a $10k asking price. Everything is stock except new tires and it has a winch.
What’s your take?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

kinda not sure what I should go for. The LC has updated triple lockers, bluetooth radio, 2.5” lift with new tires, a winch, and rear tire carrier. 97k miles are on the clock and is in great condition. Asking price is $12k. The LX has 200k miles on the clock with a $10k asking price. Everything is stock except new tires and it has a winch.
What’s your take?
LandCruiser every time.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

What’s your take?
Some think the modified one is more capable but the stock one will be more reliable.
I'd likely go for the low miler.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

For me, if all else is equal like overall condition, etc. The triple lockers and the low miles of the LC would make me spend the extra$2,000. The mods can all be un-done. However the lockers are big money to add later and you can't undo 103K miles.
If stock is what you want, I know there will be plenty of people that will buy the aftermarket stuff and maybe even trade you with cash for the stock parts. As long as nothing was chopped or welded, it can all be unbolted and returned to stock.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I had the very same desicion before me 7 years ago. (For those not in the know, a Landcruiser 80/100 series is the same truck as a Lexus LX 450 / 470 ) They sat side by side in a garage. The 80 had 200,000 miles on it, the 100 had 140,000 miles.. same price for each.. I chose the 80 for 4 big reasons, it’s triple locked, it has a solid front axle, it is more dependable and I can work on it as there is much less gizmology to sort through not that mileage means much when it comes to Landcruiser but with under 100,000 miles the 80 is a steal. Buy it and don’t look back. It will increase in value.

Elco joe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ouray, CO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Skalsky
Member #

What’s your take?
I bought a triple lock 97 stock in March with 114,000 on the clock, for 14 And I thought it was a deal. Most 80’s have more miles and priced much higher . If you can confirm the mileage and the owner has receipts for the work, I would lean 80.
Drive both see what you like -

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Find the starter on the LX470 But I guess its that or doing a berf rebuild. Between those rigs I'd go for the 80 just out of the money you will save on lockers. Get a new distributor gasket for 80 series nothing like having a bad one and finding out at a bad time!