Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

So in the quest for newish rig, I have it narrowed down to a Tundra or a Power wagon. I need the truck to be my daily driver and my expo rig.

Tundra
Pros:
Toyota reliability
Great Platform to build on.
10 inches shorter, still same with 6.5 ft bed.
4" shorter wheelbase (better turning)
1600 lbs lighter

Cons:
lack of loacker
lack of winch
suspension
Basically needs some cash to make it worthy

Power Wagon

Pros:
Needs a new set of tires and its ready to go
lockers front and rear

Cons:
Questionable reliability
10" longer
4" longer wheelbase
1600lbs heavier

I have driven them both. The stock ride on the Power wagon in my opinion is better. I will immediately be changing the suspension on the tundra.

Thanks

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I'm a Toyota guy, however I do have a soft spot for Power Wagons. Are you looking at getting a TRD Off-Road Tundra? If so you might be better off getting an SR5 and then upgrading the suspension and doing the locker.

Toyota has reliability and lots of aftermarket support for overland activities. The PWs are gaining in support. The difference in wheelbase, size, and weight can be a major issue depending on what your actual uses are going to be for the truck and the types of trails you plan on using it on.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I’m not the kind of guy to make a decision from only two options. I’m the kind of guy that writes down everything I want, searches the country for it, flies to the location to buy it, then drives it home. I’ve done that with multiple cars, trucks, and motorcycles, and I have never been disappointed because I am buying exactly what I want.

James

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I'm a Toyota guy, however I do have a soft spot for Power Wagons. Are you looking at getting a TRD Off-Road Tundra? If so you might be better off getting an SR5 and then upgrading the suspension and doing the locker.

Toyota has reliability and lots of aftermarket support for overland activities. The PWs are gaining in support. The difference in wheelbase, size, and weight can be a major issue depending on what your actual uses are going to be for the truck and the types of trails you plan on using it on.
I have been a long time toyota guy as well. As far as the truck is concerned, I am looking at the best condition say 2014 and up. So an Sr5, trd, platnium. What ever I can get the best deal on

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I’m not the kind of guy to make a decision from only two options. I’m the kind of guy that writes down everything I want, searches the country for it, flies to the location to buy it, then drives it home. I’ve done that with multiple cars, trucks, and motorcycles, and I have never been disappointed because I am buying exactly what I want.

James
I am with you, thats how I have done it with all my trucks. This is the first time I have ever not known which truck I am exactly after. Usually i have it down to the trim and the year.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have been a long time toyota guy as well. As far as the truck is concerned, I am looking at the best condition say 2014 and up. So an Sr5, trd, platnium. What ever I can get the best deal on
Well I guess the biggest thing you got to decide is if you want a truck that is pretty much ready to go out of the box (PW) or if you want a truck that you make your own (Tundra). Another big thing to consider is IFS vs SA.

Reactions: Shanedogg

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Well I guess the biggest thing you got to decide is if you want a truck that is pretty much ready to go out of the box (PW) or if you want a truck that you make your own (Tundra). Another big thing to consider is IFS vs SA.
Thats what I am doing the calcs. on now. I do have to think about money. I think a built tundra with lockers would be better in the long run for me. It is hard to beat the SA though.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Thats what I am doing the calcs. on now. I do have to think about money. I think a built tundra with lockers would be better in the long run for me. It is hard to beat the SA though.
SA does have some downfalls as well though. It all depends on what you want to use the truck for exactly. I mean if it's me I would probably go built Tundra. One thing I hate about the Ram 1500s we have at work is the hump on the passenger side floorboard. Not sure though if that's a problem in the 2500s.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

for me the truck is a DD, I run a landscape design business and have a small farm that provides vegetables for local restaurants. I also have a home in MT, and do similar work out there in the summer. The truck gets used as an adventure rig. Your typical 3-4 nights off the grid type stuff all over the west.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

How long are you planning to keep it? I spent a lot of time researching the Tundra and then the Power Wagon before I picked up my F250. The PW hands-down has the more capable suspension and drivetrain from the factory, but I found too many negative anecdotes to trust past 100k miles. I buy my vehicles to last forever, so that was kindof a deal-breaker for me.

FWIW, I started looking past the Tundra when I started realizing Id regularly be at 95-100% GCWR with the trailer, and would likely exceed payload after adding in 1000+ lb of Tongue weight. I ended up going F250 specifically for reliability concerns with the Ram trucks. I didnt too seriously consider the GMs due to the lame front suspension (even a $7k coilover conversion gets you only 8" of front suspension travel, vs 12-13 on the Tundra for still less money).

Bottom line: the difference between the two trucks was primarily in reliability and build quality versus OEM offroad capability for the price.

Last edited:

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

If you are buying new have you checked out the Ram Tradesman with a Power Wagon package
Thats the exact truck I am looking at. Minus some badges its the same as Power Wagon. you can find them 1-3 yrs old for a really good price. I did find a laramie PW package 2015 60k for a great price as well.
I am worried about reliability

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

How long are you planning to keep it? I spent a lot of time researching the Tundra and then the Power Wagon before I picked up my F250. The PW hands-down has the more capable suspension and drivetrain from the factory, but I found too many negative anecdotes to trust past 100k miles. I buy my vehicles to last forever, so that was kindof a deal-breaker for me.

FWIW, I started looking past the Tundra when I started realizing Id regularly be at 95-100% GCWR with the trailer, and would likely exceed payload after adding in 1000+ lb of Tongue weight. I ended up going F250 specifically for reliability concerns with the Ram trucks. I didnt too seriously consider the GMs due to the lame front suspension (even a $7k coilover conversion gets you only 8" of front suspension travel, vs 12-13 on the Tundra for still less money).

Bottom line: the difference between the two trucks was primarily in reliability and build quality versus OEM offroad capability for the price.
That is my main concern with the Ram as well. I put a decent amount of miles on my trucks 20k + every year. So the miles add up fast. Thats why I end up leaning towards the Tundra as well. I dont tow enough to have the same issue as you.

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I don't know about reliability of the Ram but my dad has had a 3500 Ram that he bought in 2008 it is his daily driver, uses it for his truck camper, and lives in Montana. So far few to no problems. It is a 6 cylinder diesel.

Contributor III

I have a 2016 Toyota sr5 TRD OFF-ROAD.
It has gone EVERYWHERE I have ever asked of it with a 3 inch lift on bilstein 6112s and 33in tires and a sway bar delete.

The rear limited slip is pretty good for stock, the only downside drivetrain wise is the front “axle” has had some problems but I’ve also been extremely rough on mine.

The tundra has also been a bit large feeling on many tighter trails but has yet to limit me due to size.

Power, even with the small motor has allowed me to outrun many f150s

It handles high speed like a dream, it’s soo much fun to drift out on the trails. Even without a sway bar it’s very stable.. once it came off I never bothered putting it back on.

My CONS,

The interior develops annoying rattles like nothing I’ve ever seen before, my old 2001 f150 rattled less. Especially bad off-road

The stereo kinda sucks

The paint is extremely soft

Toyota has random bolts that will snap from inside the frame, seems like they’re literally there to screw over DIYers. So if you feel one tighten up STOP turning it!!! it’s like $800 to fix them and Toyota can’t even do it themselves.

And body panels are kinda flimsy especially around the bed but that’s all new vehicles anyways

The interior also looks/feels like the mid 2000s which is kinda off putting from a brand new vehicle

It has gone from Phoenix to LA 6 times completely off road and never let me down.

Personally I wouldn’t get the tundra if I had to do it agin.
It’s been great fun, but there’s a lot that Toyota needs to fix/update.
I’m currently trying to get rid of mine and want a Land Rover Defender next

View attachment 82704View attachment 82705View attachment 82706View attachment 82707View attachment 82708

Last edited:

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I have a 2016 Toyota sr5 TRD OFF-ROAD.
It has gone EVERYWHERE I have ever asked of it with a 3 inch lift on bilstein 6112s and 33in tires and a sway bar delete.

The rear limited slip is pretty good for stock, the only downside drivetrain wise is the front “axle” has had some problems but I’ve also been extremely rough on mine.

The tundra has also been a bit large feeling on many tighter trails but has yet to limit me due to size.

Power, even with the small motor has allowed me to outrun many f150s

It handles high speed like a dream, it’s soo much fun to drift out on the trails. Even without a sway bar it’s very stable.. once it came off I never bothered putting it back on.

My CONS,

The interior develops annoying rattles like nothing I’ve ever seen before, my old 2001 f150 rattled less. Especially bad off-road

The stereo kinda sucks

The paint is extremely soft

Toyota has random bolts that will snap from inside the frame, seems like they’re literally there to screw over DIYers. So if you feel one tighten up STOP turning it!!! it’s like $800 to fix them and Toyota can’t even do it themselves.

And body panels are kinda flimsy especially around the bed but that’s all new vehicles anyways

The interior also looks/feels like the mid 2000s which is kinda off putting from a brand new vehicle

It has gone from Phoenix to LA 6 times completely off road and never let me down.

Personally I wouldn’t get the tundra if I had to do it agin.
It’s been great fun, but there’s a lot that Toyota needs to fix/update.
I’m currently trying to get rid of mine and want a Land Rover Defender next

View attachment 82704View attachment 82705View attachment 82706View attachment 82707View attachment 82708
Thanks for the honest review. I am personally leaning towards the Ram at the moment.
i was trying to view the attachments but they are not showing for some reason

Dermot leeson

Rank 0

Contributor I

nn114tu
Member #

Every man and his dog has a toyota borrrrrring be a little different stand out from the crowed a little, i would love to see something else than another toyota build ,seen so many on here now i believe its a toyota fan club[emoji16]

Reactions: Jgallo1

RXV_POOR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Antigua
It depends if the Toyota has the fancy Toyota off road technology. Also is the Tundra a 5.7 liter engine?

If it was my dime I would buy the Toyota. I find it to be a better platform.

Chase Kahl

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a 2017 tundra platinum. I've got a 3 to 1 level/lift on it from rough country. I also have 18in fuel vapor wheels wrapped with 35/11.5 nitto ridge grapplers. The ride to me is excellent for a lifted truck with bigger tires. I do want to get an arb aor locker for the rear, but that will come at a much later date if its needed. This truck is also my daily driver. Imo building a tundra would be better. Re-sell value is much better than everyone else as well.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

It depends if the Toyota has the fancy Toyota off road technology. Also is the Tundra a 5.7 liter engine?

If it was my dime I would buy the Toyota. I find it to be a better platform.
I have always thought that to be true as well.
I think it definitely holds up when considering an older vehicle. The modern equipment on some of the other brands seems really well made.